(ACID, SUB-ACID, SWEET, NON, & FAT)
Banana – high vitamin and mineral content, particularly potassium, easily digested, increases fat burning, research suggests they lower risk of colorectal and kidney cancer, B6, vitamin C, B5, B2, folate, manganese, potassium, copper, magnesium
Date – nutrient dense, B5, B3, B2, beta carotene, copper, potassium, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, calcium, iron, fiber
Fig – highly alkaline, highly mineralized, laxative, intestinal cleanser, B1, B5, B6, beta carotene, calcium, copper, manganese, iron, calcium
Grape – Muscat & Thompson -(seeded varieties best) research today shows that grapes are a profound heart and blood vitalizing food. Red grapes contain the most resveratrol, antioxidants, quercetin and other polyphenols, which also keep blood platelets from sticking together, and they are also a great source of boron to prevent osteoporosis. Grapes contain anti-cancer phytonutrients and have been praised to help with varicose veins, inflammation, anemia and rheumatoid arthritis. Detoxifier, cleansing, iron, magnesium, boron, anti viral, cancer-preventative
Jackfruit – laxative, nutritious, juicy fruit gum was a takeoff on jackfruit flavor, beta carotene, vitamin C, B2, B6
Jujube (Chinese date) – Vitamin C, potassium, phosphorus, manganese and calcium minerals, there are also high amounts of sodium, zinc, iron and copper
Longan – vitamin C, magnesium, potassium
Mamey Sapote – tastes like, but sweeter than sweet potato, anti bacterial
Sapote (black) – vitamin C, calcium, phosphorus
Mangosteen – antimicrobial, antiviral, said by many to be a super fruit for all its nutritional benefits
Papaya – digestive support, cleansing, enhances fat burning, extremely nutrient dense, beta carotene, vitamin C, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, iron
Persimmon (Fuyu & Hachiya) -mild laxative, sooth digestive system, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus
Apple – overall tonic and contain pectin, a fiber that’s good for the digestive tract, supports immunity, research suggests it lowers Alzheimer’s risk, vitamin C, copper, magnesium, potassium, iron, manganese, phosphorus, trace minerals Apricot – rich in beta carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E, B5, copper iron, potassium, fiber
Blackberry – build bone density, suppresses appetite, enhances fat burning, phytonutrients ,vitamin C, beta carotene, folate, B5, vitamin E. vitamin K, manganese, copper, iron, magnesium, zinc , fiber
Blueberry – high in antioxidants & phytonutrients, good for urinary tract and brain rejuvenation, fiber, vitamin K, vitamin C, manganese, copper, iron
Cherimoya – vitamin C, folate, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, omega 3, fiber
Cherry – detoxifying, laxative, cleanser, reduce inflammation, lowers bad cholesterol, vitamin C, magnesium, iron, silicon,
Grapes – (seeded varieties best) research today shows that grapes are a profound heart and blood vitalizing food. Red grapes contain the most resveratrol, antioxidants, quercetin and other polyphenols, which also keep blood platelets from sticking together, and they are also a great source of boron to prevent osteoporosis. Grapes contain anti-cancer phytonutrients and have been praised to help with varicose veins, inflammation, anemia and rheumatoid arthritis. Detoxifier, cleansing, iron, magnesium, boron, anti viral, cancer-preventative
Loquat – high in beta carotene, dietary fiber, potassium, and manganese, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus
Lychee – high in polyphenols, taste somewhat like grapes, vitamin C, copper, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium
Mango – good for kidneys and digestion, blood cleanser, supports immune system, lowers bad cholesterol, vitamin C, beta carotene, calcium, potassium
Nectarine – digestive aid and cleanser, beta carotene, B3, vitamin C, vitamin E, copper
Peach – laxative, diuretic, digestive aid, cleanser, alkaline, carotene, B3, vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium, calcium, magnesium, beta carotene
Pear – diuretic, alkaline, digestive aid, cleanser, fiber, iodine, vitamin C, copper
Plum – laxative, oxalic acid, beta carotene, antioxidants, phosphorus, potassium
Raspberries – said to lower bad cholesterol and inhibit certain cancer growth, antioxidant, vitamin C , vitamin K, vitamin E, folate, B5, manganese, copper, iron
Cranberry – great for respiratory and urinary tracts, tannic and oxalic acids
Grapefruit – pectin strengthens blood vessels and capillaries and reduces the accumulation of atherosclerotic plaque in those afflicted with this problem. Grapefruit juice eases constipation and improves digestion but can reduce appetite, aiding in weight loss. It’s said grapefruit is good to eat for cancers, heart problems, strokes, constipation, the blood and nerves. Digestive aid, vascular health, removal of inorganic calcium from joints.
Kiwi – removes excess sodium buildup, enzymes help in correcting and soothing digestive system, said to eliminate wrinkles, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin, E, folate, copper, potassium
Kumquat – calcium, beta carotene, vitamin C, iron, magnesium
Lemon – is the most potent detoxifier of all the citric fruits.It kills intestinal parasites and dissolves gallstones. It’s said lemons are good to eat for cancers, heart problems, strokes, constipation, the blood and nerves. Calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, cleansing, alkalizing effect
Limes – (yellow when ripe) contains bioflavonoids, citric acid and pectin. It’s said limes are good to eat for cancers, heart problems, strokes, constipation, the blood and nerves. Calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, cleansing, alkalizing effect
Oranges – contain 170 different phytonutrients and more than 60 known falconoid. These are shown to reduce inflammation, shrink tumors, and inhibit blood clots. The Herperidin in oranges can help to lower blood pressure and cholesterol. Contain bioflavonoids, citric acids and pectin. It’s said oranges are good to eat for cancers, heart problems, strokes, constipation, the blood and nerves. Digestive support, calcium, vitamin C
Pineapple – promotes joint health, reduces inflammation , diuretic, digestive aid, cleanser of mucus, mild laxative, calcium, vitamin C, folic acid, magnesium, manganese, beta carotene
Pomegranate – cleansing and good for the urinary tract, protects against sunburn, studies suggest it fights prostate cancer, vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, beta carotene
Strawberry – said to protect against Alzheimer’s, reduce bad cholesterol, suppress growth of colon, prostate and oral cancers, vitamin C, folate, manganese, copper, iron
Tangerine – vitamin C, beta carotene, calcium, copper, magnesium, potassium
Tomato (heirlooms are best) – Tomatoes are filled with antioxidants and phytonutrients, over 9,000 known phytonutrients to date. The main and most powerful antioxidant known in the tomato is lycopene. Lycopene is thought to protect the liver, lungs, prostate gland, colon and skin from sunburn among other things. Ongoing research seems to show that lycopene helps prevent macular degeneration, lower cholesterol, support the immune system and can help prevent and rid cancers. alkaline residue, reduces inflammation, vitamin C, B6, B5 ,B1, vitamin K, copper, iron, magnesium
High Fat Fruits
Avocado – said to be good for liver and lower cholesterol levels, vitamin E, protein, iron and copper
Durian – high in potassium and sulfur which makes them a warming fruit, vitamin C, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, folate, copper, manganese, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron
Olives – very alkaline, lubricating, cleansing, calcium, sodium, magnesium, amino acids, antioxidants, vitamin A and E
Coconut – 4 electrolytes, anti-microbial fats, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, provides protection against UV raises, promotes collagen and contains probiotics
These fruits are very high in fat but are of the healthiest kind. However, you will want to enjoy these foods in moderation if you are consuming a lot of fruit or you will end up with insulin problems. A low fat raw food diet usually works best for most people is a 80/10/10 Diet. If you are a slow oxidizer you should shoot for 10% fat in your diet or less. If you are eating a 2000 calorie diet this works out to be about 22 grams of fat and this adds up quicker than you might think. One avocado has about 25 grams of fat and one olive has 1 gram of fat. If you are a fast oxidizer you can eat a higher percentage of 20% but be careful not to consume too much high sugar fruit
Bell peppers – (orange and red only, green are unripe) protects against sunburn, good for the heart, beta carotene, vitamin C, folate, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, vitamin E. vitamin K, iron, manganese. do not eat green bell peppers, skin, or seeds. Cucumber – alkaline, diuretic, great cleanser, vitamin K, B5, silicon, potassium, copperTomato – (also an acid fruit) Squash – contains vitamins A and C, maganese and magnesium, and contains folate, which has been shown to reduce the incidence of neural tube defects and other birth defects. carotenoid beta-cryptoxanthin, has decreased incidence of lung cancer. A cup of winter squash contains 15% of the recommended daily allowance of folate
Eggplant – contain vitamnins B1, B3, B6, C and potassium, glykoalkaloids and phytonutrients like flavonoids, caffeic acid and chlorogenic acid. the flavonoid nasunin in eggplants, has high levels of antioxidant properties and is known to be a scavenger of free radicals, thus protecting the cells of the body. nasunin is also known for its ability to protect the fats surrounding the cell membrane of the brain. the chlorogenic acid it contains is known to be the most potent antioxidant that displays antimicrobial, antiviral and antitumor abilities and plays an important role in the prevention of many diseases. glykoalkaloids invade cancer cells and stimulate the cell’s owns digestive enzymes the culinary definition of fruit excludes these foods, botany declares them a fruit because of their seeds. they are low in sugar and fat and are great to add to salads or just to eat alone as part of a low fat raw food diet
Cantaloupe – immunity support, protects against sunburn, reduces inflammation, cleanser and great for rehydrating, great nutrient profile, very high in beta carotene, vitamin C, folate, B3, potassium, copper
Watermelon – protects against sunburn, said to reduce risk of prostate, ovarian and cervical cancers, cleanser, great for rehydrating, beta carotene, vitamin C, copper
Bittermelon – the fruits and leaves of bitter melon are a good source of minerals and vitamins, such as iron, calcium, phosphorus and vitamin B. the juice from the leaves is also good to prevent and lessen cough, for fever and against roundworms. it is also used to treat sterility in women and alleviate liver problems. bitter melon has some antimicrobial activity and can help infected wounds. nutritional contents can actually be absorbed by the body’s digestive system of the plant become some of these substances exist in unabsorbable form. lowers blood sugar levels and addition in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus, reducing the patients intake of antidiabetic drugs.
Consuming fruit and veggies every day is very important if you want to stay healthy. However, this doesn’t mean that you should mix them together – eating different types of fruits and vegetables together is not only unhealthy, it can have serious consequences on your health! Here are the foods you must never mix:
Banana and pudding
This combination is difficult to digest and will stimulate toxin production in the body, which can kill infants and will slow the mind of adults.
Carrots and oranges
Although a popular combination in many health stores, mixing carrots and oranges can be very dangerous. This mix has been known to cause acid reflux and heartburn, but some people have also reported kidney damage and other problems.
Milk and pineapple
Pineapple contains bromelain, a compound which can cause severe headaches, stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea and infections if mixed with milk.
Lemon and papaya
Consuming these tropical fruits together can cause anemia and hemoglobin imbalance, and is highly dangerous for children.
Banana and guava
Consuming banana and guava together will cause acidosis and excess gasses, and can make you feel lightheaded as well.
Milk and orange
If you’re adding orange juice in your bowl of breakfast cereal every morning, stop! Consuming a mixture of milk and orange will make your body unable to process the starch from the cereal. Once it gets mixed with the milk, the digestion becomes even more difficult, causing numerous health problems.
Fruits and vegetables
Fruits and veggies should never be mixed together. Fruits contain sugar and are difficult to digest, meaning that they stay in your stomach for a longer period. During that time, they begin to ferment and release toxins which could cause headaches, digestive problems and other serious health issues.
Here’s a list which will show you which groups of fruits can be mixed:
Sweet: you can safely combine and consume bananas, apples, plums, cantaloupe and watermelon.
Acidic: you can mix fruits rich in citric acid such as lemon, blueberries, orange, grapes, kiwi and grapefruit.
Semi-acidic: semi-acidic fruits such as mango, apples, raspberry and strawberry can be mixed and consumed.
Neutral: you can consume a mixture of avocado, peanuts, almonds, walnuts and coconuts.
Acidity is defined as a condition where the excessive amounts of acid is generally secreted by the gastric glands of stomach. We all require acid (hydrochloric acid) which is produced by the stomach or body for performing the function of digesting the food which we eat. If this acid which is produced is more than the required amount of the body, then these excessive gastric juices will move from stomach to lower part of the esophagus and thus affects this esophagus or the inner lining of the stomach seriously. This condition leads to acidic stomach or acidity.
The normal pH of the human body is 7 which is neutral and the acidity / alkaline balance may vary within the body. Coming to pH of the arterial blood is about 7.35 to 7.45 where as the saliva is from 6 to 7.4. Stomach’s pH is about 2 which is very acidic in nature. In most of the time, this acidity is caused due to poor diet habits and also lack of body movements.
The HCL which is produced by the cells in the stomach is responsible for acidity. This also provides a defense against the disease causing microbes which exist in food and these microbes are unable to tolerate the stomach’s acidic nature. But an enzyme known as pepsin which helps to break down the proteins for easy digestion will not be able to exist in high pH level than that of stomach by resulting in indigestion.
Make sure that if the person who is suffering from the acidity, if not treated on time then it definitely leads to gout, indigestion, stomach gas, arthritis, ulcers formation in the body in either mouth or inner walls of the stomach or esophageal cancer. When once this acidity occurs then the gastric juices will move from the stomach to lower esophagus or the food pipe that in turn results in dysfunctional.
Here are some of the symptoms which you face while suffering from this acidity is listed below. However symptoms like dizziness and fever will lead to hyper acidity. Also never ever overlook the acidity symptoms as it can result in any serious health problem.
- Prolonged heartburn
- Gastro – esophageal acid reflux
- Loss of appetite and nausea
- Burning sensation or pain in the stomach, especially after taking meals
- Chest pain or inflammation in chest
- Formation of ulcer in esophagus tube
- Pain during muscular contractions
- Vomiting or bitter taste in mouth and throat
- Belching, flatulence or constant pain in upper abdomen
- Feeling difficulty in speaking and breathing and also suffering from respiratory problems including cough
- Experiencing earache and constipation
The following explains you what causes this acidity in the body.
- Gastro – duodenal (or peptic) ulcer
- Dysfunction of digestive system
- Excessive intake of alcohol and smoking
- Not eating meals on time
- Reflux of gastric acid due to its weakness of the valves
- Having fatty, spicy and fried foods on regular basis and also in over quantity.
- Keeping the stomach empty for longer time or else skipping the breakfast or lunch
- Over exposure to the sun and heat
- Stress, anxiety and depression
- Obesity (or) Pregnancy
- Irregular and improper food habits
- Hyper secretion of hydrochloric acid
- Excessive consumption of coffee or caffeine and also the foods which has excess fat
Remember that when once we came to know the exact cause for this acidity in stomach, then you can easily find out the treatment to solve it.
Don’t get confused about acid reflux and acidity, as acid reflux is a symptom of acidity. Acidity is caused due to over production of hydrochloric acid in stomach (which is left unused for digestion process) and coming to acid reflux, it is caused when the LES loosen up while the stomach is working to digest the food and this stomach acids will travel back up to esophagus by causing irritation, inflammation to the stomach and in the LES that in turn causes sensation of tightness, pain and discomfort caused in the middle of chest.
Home Remedies for Acidity:
Acidity in human body is recognized as one of the major problem that can leads to many health ailments that ranging from digestive problems to cardiovascular diseases. So follow these natural home remedies which help you to get control over this acidity and thereby from other health issues which will rise from this acidity.
Ginger is an excellent remedy for treating acidity due to its alkalizing nature. Generally the perfect pH of the body remains in between 7.35 and 7.45 which is measured on the scale of 0 – 14 that in turn how acidic or alkaline your body is.
If you’re suffering from acidity, then the stomach acid will reflux into the esophagus and causes irritation and inflammation in it. So the intake of ginger which is an herb or spice will help to stimulate the production of saliva that in turn helps to wash away the acid which has refluxed into esophagus and thus cures acidity.
Here are the recipes on how to take ginger for curing acidity quickly.
Method – 1: (Ginger Tea)
- Fresh ginger root – 1 inch piece
- Hot (or) warm water – 1 cup
- Honey (or) Lemon juice (Optional) – 1 to 2 teaspoons
- Take ginger root and wash it off thoroughly.
- Peel it and cut it into slices.
- Then take a pot and place these ginger slices in it.
- Now pour hot water over these ginger slices in that pot.
- Allow it steep for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea by using sieve into a cup.
- Finally have this ginger tea by adding honey or lemon juice in it.
- For more effective results, you have to drink this ginger tea for 2 – 3 times a day.
- Or you can also use ginger in many other forms like chewing a fresh piece of raw ginger, using it in cooking, ginger ale, ginger candies, etc. regularly to get rid of the acidity.
Method – 2: (Ginger Powder)
- Ginger powder – 1 teaspoon
- Asafetida – pinch
- Water – 1 cup
- Rock salt – pinch
- Take water and add ginger powder, rock salt and asafetida to it.
- Stir it well and drink this solution to get relief from the acidity.
- Intake of this ginger powder solution will give immediate relief from the acidity. So follow this process whenever you suffer from acidity.
- Or you can also have a spoonful of ginger juice for 2 – 3 times a day on daily basis to keep the acidity and other stomach related problems at bay.
Method – 3: (Ginger with Ground Coriander Tea)
In Ayurveda, it is believed that a hot, brewed tea which is made from fresh ginger and ground coriander will be more helpful for getting rid of the acidity that was especially caused due to over eating of certain foods occasionally.
- Freshly ground ginger – 2 tablespoon
- Ground coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Hot water – 8 oz
- Disposable tea bag
- Take freshly ground ginger and pour this in a disposable tea bag.
- Place this ginger filled tea bag in hot water.
- Allow it to steep for about 5 – 6 minutes.
- Now take it out and squeeze it to discard the tea bag.
- Then add ground coriander powder to this cup.
- Mix it well to combine the ginger and coriander in the tea.
- Let it cool down for few minutes to reach room temperature.
- Drink this ginger – coriander tea whenever you suffer from this acidity.
- Also you can also store this tea (if prepared in large quantities) in refrigerator for about 96 hours for further usage to get relief from acidity.
- Regularize this habit of drinking this ginger – ground coriander tea to get relief from the acidity and its discomforts.
2. Carom Seeds:
Carom seeds are also considered as the best remedy for acidity and also the problems that are related to the stomach and digestion. These seeds contain excellent digestive and carminative properties which help for better digestion and also prevent the gastro-intestinal problems.
These carom seeds or Bishop’s weed or Ajwain boost up the activity of digestive enzymes and reduces the transmit time for the food to get digested to prevent the acidity. Simply you can use these carom seeds directly to prevent acidity and many other digestive problems.
Here are few ways that explains on how to these carom seeds for acidity.
Method – 1: (Carom Seeds with Water)
- Carom seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 1 glass
- Take carom seeds into your hands and place them in the palm of one hand.
- Then crush or press the seeds with other hand fingers or other hand palm.
- This process helps to release the oils from the carom seeds.
- Now you have to take this into mouth followed by water.
- Or you can take this with water by placing them in water and stir it well.
- Continue doing this process regularly to clear the acidity.
Method – 2: (Carom Seeds with Lemon and Ginger Juice)
- Carom seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – few drops
- Ginger juice – few drops
- Take a small bowl and place the carom seeds in it.
- Then add lemon juice and ginger juice to it.
- Stir it well and have this mixture.
- Consume this mixture whenever you suffer from acidity to get rid of the problem.
Method – 3: (Carom Seeds)
- Carom seeds
- Take some carom seeds and place them in your mouth.
- Chew them thoroughly after completing your meals.
- This process is especially useful for those who can withstand with this strong bitter and peppery taste of this carom seeds.
- Repeat the same process regularly after completing the meals until you cleared the acidity from the root.
Method – 4: (Ajwain Ark with Water)
- Ajwain Ark – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Take Ajwain ark and place it in a glass.
- Then pour water over it and stir it well.
- Have this drink particularly after taking your meals.
- This process if used will make you feel relief in just a few minutes.
- Regularize the intake of this drink after meals to get complete relief from the acidity.
Method – 5: (Omam with Water)
This process is especially useful for the people whose who get this omam liquid (which is mostly available in south India, Malaysia, Srilanka and also in some Arabian countries.
- Omam liquid – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 1/2 glass
- Take omam liquid and add this to water.
- Stir it well and drink this water.
- Have this omam water regularly to fend off the acidity.
Method – 6: (Omam Water for Instant Relief)
- Omam water – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 1 glass
- Take a pan and pour water in it.
- Then add omam water and cumin seeds in it.
- Stir it well and place them on heat or stove.
- Allow it to boil for about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Then put off the flame and let it cool for few minutes.
- Finally take this to get relief from the acidity.
- Continue taking this mixture whenever you feel this acidity attack to relieve from it.
Method – 7: (Carom Seeds with Rock Salt)
- Carom seeds – 3 to 6 tablespoons
- Rock salt – 3 to 6 tablespoons
- Airtight container or glass jar
- Warm water – 1 cup
- Take equal quantities of carom seeds and rock salt.
- Place them in a grinder and grind them properly to make it in powder form.
- Then store this powdered mixture in an airtight container.
- Now you have to take 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of this powder in warm water.
- Mix it well and have this to relieve from acidity.
- For more effective results, you have to drink this for 2 – 3 times a day.
- Or you can also take a pinch of this powder and consume this without mixing it in water.
- Continue the intake of this carom seeds – rock salt mixture regularly to counteract the attack of acidity and other digestive problems in the body.
Have you remembered that the traditional buttermilk which is made by the process of churning the curd to separate the cream or butter from it and this buttermilk (the liquid which is left over after the extraction of butter or cream) will act as an excellent remedy for treating the acidity.
Buttermilk has lactic acid which helps to neutralize the acidity or acid reflux in the stomach. It also contains lot of vitamins, calcium, potassium and other traces of phosphorous in which all these makes it as a nutritional drink. This natural drink soothes the stomach and thus prevents the acidity and other digestive problems. You can also include some other ingredients like asafetida, ginger, coriander leaves, curry leaves and sea salt, etc. to enhance the digestive properties and to cure the problem completely.
Here are few ways that explains you on how to use this buttermilk for acidity.
Method – 1: (Buttermilk with Fenugreek Seeds)
- Buttermilk – 1 glass
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Take fenugreek seeds and place them in mortar and pestle.
- Crush them finely by adding a little of water to it.
- Make it like a paste and add this paste to buttermilk.
- Stir it well and drink this fenugreek mixed buttermilk to relieve from acidity.
- Include this buttermilk drink in the daily diet to definitely get cure from the acidity and the stomach ache which is caused by acidity.
Method – 2: (Buttermilk with Lemon or Vinegar)
- Buttermilk – 1 cup
- Vinegar or lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Take vinegar or lemon juice and add this to buttermilk.
- Mix it well and let it sit aside for about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Then drink this buttermilk to clear the acidity in the stomach.
- Have this to regularly to keep this acidity problem at bay.
Method – 3: (Buttermilk with Black Pepper Powder)
- Buttermilk – 1 glass
- Black pepper powder
- Take some amount of black pepper powder.
- Add this to buttermilk and mix it well.
- Drink this spiced buttermilk to reduce the acidity.
- For complete cure from acidity, you have to drink this buttermilk regularly.
Method – 4: (Buttermilk with Cumin Seeds and Rock Salt)
- Buttermilk – 1 glass
- Dry roasted cumin seeds powder – 1 teaspoon
- Rock salt or black salt – pinch
- Take dry roasted cumin seeds powder.
- Add this to buttermilk and then add a pinch of rock or black salt to it.
- Stir it well and drink this buttermilk to heal the acidity.
- Drinking this buttermilk regularly will definitely help you to prevent the acid attacks on the stomach intestinal tract.
Method – 5: (Buttermilk with Coriander Leaf Juice)
- Buttermilk – 1 glass
- Coriander leaves juice – 1 teaspoon
- Take freshly extracted coriander leaves juice.
- Add this to buttermilk and mix it well.
- Drink this buttermilk regularly to cut down the acid attacks in the stomach.
In India, you will find a tradition of chewing fennel seeds after the meals which help for proper and better digestion and also saves you from the attacks of some digestion related problems like acidity, constipation, bloating, gas or flatulence, heartburn and indigestion or upset stomach.
Fennel contains carminative property which helps to soothe the digestive tract and thus reduces the acid, inflammation, gas and bloating in the stomach intestinal tract. It also contains variety of active constituents which include volatile oils those composed of certain substances like fenchone, limonene, trans – anethole and alpha-pinene which gives a soothing effect to this fennel herb. You can use this fennel herb in any of the forms like extracted oil, tincture, seeds or its other forms.
Here are few ways that explains you on how to use this fennel for acidity.
Method – 1: (Fennel Seeds)
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon
- Take fennel seeds and place them in the mouth.
- Start chewing them properly after taking meals.
- Continue this chewing process regularly to get rid of the acidity and other digestive problems.
Method – 2: (Fennel Tincture)
- Fennel tincture – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 1 cup
- Take fennel tincture and add this to water.
- Mix it well to dissolve the tincture in that water.
- Drink this to counteract the acidity levels in the body.
- Drinking this for thrice a day will definitely help you to get clear the acidity.
Method – 3: (Fennel Liquid Extract)
- Fennel liquid extract – 1/2 teaspoon
- Take liquid extract of fennel and consume this to get relief from the acidity.
- Continue the intake of this fennel liquid extract everyday to fend off the acidity and other digestive problems.
Method – 4: (Fennel Tea)
- Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Take fennel seeds and add this to hot water.
- Cover it and allow it to steep for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Then strain it to drink this tea.
- Remember that it has slight sweet taste so you may not need to add honey or any other natural or artificial sweetener to it.
- Also you may or may not strain the tea and have this tea by chewing the fennel seeds in it.
- Repeat the same process regularly to keep this acidity at bay.
Method – 5: (Fennel Vegetable Salad)
- Fennel vegetable
- Baby spinach
- Take fennel vegetable and slice the white bottom of it.
- Place them in a bowl and add arugula and baby spinach to it.
- Stir it well and have this like a salad to get food easily digested.
- Intake of this fennel salad will definitely help you to get complete relief from the acidity.
5. Basil Leaves:
Basil leaves contains many components that are very effective and excellent digestive agents. All these components help to stimulate the stomach to produce more mucous. Usage of basil leaves will provide you the ability to reduce the peptic acids effects in the stomach. Thus it cures the acidity levels in the stomach. Remember that using basil leaves will not only cures acidity but also cures gas and bloating also.
Here are few ways that explains on how to use this basil leaves for curing acidity.
Method – 1: (Chewing Basil Leaves)
- Basil leaves – 5 to 7
- Take basil leaves and wash them thoroughly.
- Place these leaves into your mouth and start chewing them.
- Chew them slowly by drinking the basil juice which came by chewing these leaves.
- This chewing process is more preferred after taking meals.
- Continue doing this process regularly to relieve completely from the acidity.
Method – 2:
- Basil leaves – 8 to 10
- Lukewarm water – 1 glass
- Take basil leaves and wash them properly.
- Crush these leaves to make it fine paste.
- Then take lukewarm water and add this basil paste into it.
- Stir it well and drink this to get rid of the acidity.
- This process not only helps to reduce the pain but also relieves acidity completely.
- Repeat the same process regularly to clear the acidity problem.
Method – 3: (Basil Tea)
- Basil leaves – 3 to 6 leaves
- Water – 1 cup
- Honey (optional)
- Take a pan and place basil leaves in it.
- Then pour water in it and place this pan on the stove or heat.
- Boil this for few minutes and then simmer it for few minutes.
- Strain the tea and add honey to sweeten up the tea.
- But make sure that not to add milk in it.
- Sip it slowly to get rid of the acidity and frequent intake of this basil tea will definitely help you to get complete relief from the acidity and its symptoms.
Intake of foods which has low acid levels will be more helpful for the people those who are dealing with this acidity. Always remember that the lower the pH level then the higher will be the acidity in foods. Coming to watermelon, it has high pH of 9 which makes it more alkaline. Taking alkaline foods will be good for the tissues, cells and other organs in the body.
This is also proved in a study which was conducted in 2011 in which about 20 members with reflux or acidity said that they felt up to 95% improvement by following strict low acid diet. So include this watermelon and other low acid foods like lettuce, celery, broccoli, grapefruit, etc.
Here are few ways to eat this watermelon for treating acidity.
Method – 1: (Watermelon)
- Take ripe watermelon and cut it into small bite size pieces.
- Cover it and store these pieces in refrigerator.
- Whenever you suffer from this feeling of acidity or heartburn or acidity then take a small bowl.
- Place 5 – 7 pieces of this chilled water melon by taking it out from refrigerator.
- Continue doing the same process throughout the day to keep this acidity problem at bay.
- But make sure that not to consume watermelon pieces which was cut and stored in fridge for more than 3 days as it is not safe to use them.
Method – 2: (Watermelon Juice)
- Take a ripe watermelon and cut it into small pieces.
- Place them in refrigerator for few minutes.
- Then take out these pieces and blend it to make a refreshing drink with it.
- Drink this chilled watermelon juice to clear the acidity and also other digestive problems.
Method – 3: (Watermelon Salad)
- Take watermelon and cut it into small pieces.
- Place these pieces in a bowl.
- Then take low acid fruits like grapefruit and banana.
- Peel it off and cut them into comfortable pieces.
- Place all these pieces in that bowl.
- Mix it well to make it a salad.
- Have this low acid fruit salad to neutralize the acid in the stomach and thus to prevent the acidity.
- For more effective results, have this salad regularly.
Method – 4: (Watermelon Juice with Coconut Water)
- Watermelon juice
- Coconut water
- Take some quantity of watermelon juice and coconut water.
- Mix them well and drink this liquid in between meals or whenever you suffer from acidity to clear it.
- Continue doing the same process regularly to avoid this acidity attacks.
7. Cumin Seeds:
These cumin seeds are generally belongs to Umbelliferae family in which parsley, caraway seeds, dill and chervil. All these seeds are extensively used in many countries like Indian, Mexican, Spanish, Middle Eastern areas as these are rich in manganese, iron and other vitamins and minerals.
There are many studies that are conducted on cumin seeds have found that it helps to stimulate the pancreatic enzymes which further helps for proper digestion and ultimately keeps all the digestive problems including this acidity along with its symptoms at bay.
Follow the below mentioned ways to clear the acidity…
Method – 1: (Cumin Seeds Decoction)
- Cumin Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 1 glass
- Take a pan and pour water in it.
- Place this on the stove or heat.
- Then add cumin seeds in it.
- Stir it and allow it to boil for about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Now put off the flame and let it cool down for few minutes.
- After it cool down properly then you can drink this decoction to get rid of the acidity.
- Continue the intake of this cumin seeds mixture daily whenever you’re suffering from this acidity to get rid of it.
Method – 2: (Cumin Seeds with Buttermilk)
- Cumin seeds
- Water (or) Buttermilk
- Strainer (Optional)
- Airtight container
- Take some cumin seeds and dry roast them for few minutes until you get aroma as an indication of properly roasted.
- Then take out a mortar and pestle and place a teaspoon of dry roasted cumin seeds in it.
- Crush them slightly and pour this dry roasted ground cumin seeds into water or buttermilk.
- Or you can also crush this cumin seeds along with water or buttermilk by placing all these things in a juicer.
- You may or may not strain the seeds in that buttermilk or water.
- Stir it well and drink this after completing your meals.
- Store the remaining roasted cumin seeds in an airtight container for further purpose.
- Do the same process regularly to get complete relief from acidity problem.
Method – 3: (Cumin Seeds)
- Raw cumin seeds
- Take a pinch full of raw cumin seeds and place them in the mouth.
- Chew them properly to get immediate relief from the acidity along with its symptoms.
- Do this chewing process regularly to fend off the acidity.
Generally there are many foods that help to treat acidity in which banana is one among it. These bananas has rich source of potassium which makes it as an alkalizing mineral with a pH of 14. The intake of ripe banana which reduces the acidity levels in the stomach by raising the pH level.
Other than this, it has certain chemicals which help to stimulate the stomach lining to produce mucus in more quantity and this in turn helps to protect the stomach from acids and thus prevents the problem of stomach ulcers. These bananas are rich in fiber content which effectively speed up the digestion process. So it’s advisable to include a banana (minimum quantity) in the daily diet to neutralize the acidity or alkaline in the body.
Some people might develop a feeling of heartburn for eating this bananas as a reaction which is caused due to the intake of unripe one. The potassium in this unripe banana will be in potassium nitrate form which further leads to heartburn. So it’s recommended to have a ripe or over ripe banana which has brown spots on its peel, as it is tasty and healthy.
Coriander is another effective remedy for treating acidity and other stomach related problems. This coriander has certain essential oils like linalool and borneol which helps for better digestion and thus proper functioning of the liver. These oils along with their aroma will help for proper secretion of the digestive juices and enzymes in the stomach and thus stimulate proper digestion and peristaltic movement.
Other than this, coriander also has bio-active compounds which help to prevent acidity symptoms like vomiting, nausea and other stomach disorders. Or else, if your appetite is suppressed with continuous acidity attacks then also you can get relief from it by having this fresh coriander leaves, as these leaves will act as an excellent appetizers. So include them in your daily diet to prevent indigestion (dyspepsia).
Follow the below mentioned methods to get clear the acidity.
Method – 1: (Coriander Leaves with Buttermilk)
- Coriander leaves
- Buttermilk – 1 glass
- Take some coriander leaves and place them in a mortar and pestle.
- Crush them finely by adding a little of water to it.
- Extract its juice from this crushed coriander leaves.
- Then take a tablespoon of this juice and add this to buttermilk.
- Mix it well and drink this buttermilk after meals.
- Continue doing this process for 2 – 3 times a day until you got cure from this acidity.
- Or you can also have coriander juice without mixing it in buttermilk.
Method – 2: (Coriander Seeds Tea)
- Coriander seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Hot water – 1 cup
- First of all, take some coriander seeds and crush them properly.
- Place this crushed seeds in a pot.
- Then pour hot water over these crushed seeds.
- Allow it to steep for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Now strain it and add little of honey (if required) in it.
- Stir it well and have this tea for twice daily after meals.
- Or you can also drink this coriander tea without adding honey to it.
- Regularize the intake of this coriander tea until you get control over the acidity levels in the body.
10. Lemon Juice:
We all are well aware that lemon juice is a natural antacid. Lemon has citric acid which helps to change the internal acidic environment into alkaline state and this in turn helps you to get rid of the acidity.
Now I think you’re having a doubt that how does this acidic nature of lemon juice becomes alkaline? The answer is that lemon juice, in its natural form is considered as an acidic substance with a pH of below 7. But when once it goes into the body (inside) then it completely metabolized to dissociate all its minerals in the bloodstream and thus becomes alkalizing raising the pH of the body and blood to above 7. This finally makes them alkaline with its acidic nature.
The following are few effective methods that explain you on how to take lemon juice for acidity.
Method – 1: (Lemon Juice with Warm Water)
- Lemon – half piece
- Warm water – 1 glass
- Take half a lemon and squeeze it to extract its juice freshly.
- Add this juice to warm water and stir it well.
- Have this warm lemon water in the morning time with an empty stomach.
- Also you can add a little of honey to it and drink this by stirrings it well.
- Daily intake of this drink in every morning with empty stomach will help you to get relief from many problems including this acidity and stomach problems.
Method – 2: (Lemon Water)
- Lemon – 1/2 to 1
- Water – 1/2 glass
- Honey (optional)
- Take lemon or half piece of it and squeeze it to extract its juice freshly.
- Add this lemon juice in water and mix it well.
- Have this lemon water before taking meals.
- You can add a little of honey to it (if needed).
- Stir it well and drink this lemon water to reduce the acidic nature of the body.
- Continue the intake of this lemon water daily before taking meals to get rid of the acidity.
Method – 3: (Lemonade)
- Lemon juice – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Water – 64 oz
- Take lemon juice and add sugar and water in it.
- Stir it well until the sugar and the lemon juice has mixed properly.
- Drink this lemonade to neutralize the pH of the water to offset the lemon juice’s tart acid.
- Regular intake of this lemon juice will definitely help you to clear the acidity and other stomach related problems.
11. Coconut Water:
Coconut water that has been taken from tender coconut is generally a natural isotonic beverage that has the same levels of the electrolytic balance which we have in the blood. Drinking this coconut water will help you to get relief from many health problems.
If you drink this coconut water then the pH acidic level in the body will automatically changes to alkaline by giving you instant relief from the acidity and its discomforts as well. Apart from this, it has a lot of nutrients, minerals such as calcium, potassium, iron, sulphur, sodium, copper, phosphorous and chlorides, natural sugars, vitamin B, proteins (in small quantities) and ascorbic acid.
So, drinking this coconut water will not only give relief from the acidity but also from many other health problems with this delicious and nutritious water. Here is the process that tells you how to drink coconut water for preventing the acidity.
Method – 1: (Coconut Water)
- Coconut water
- Take pure coconut water (prefer from natural and tender coconuts) and pour this in a cup.
- Drink this 3 – 4 times a day.
- But make sure that you have to drink a cup of this coconut water in the morning time which gives the same benefit like drinking the coconut water throughout the day.
- Remember that not to take artificially sweetened or flavored coconut water which is not that much beneficial as natural one.
- Have this coconut water daily to get rid of many health and beauty problems.
Method – 2: (Coconut Water with Fresh Cucumber)
This combinational process is very effective in fighting against the stomach acidity. This alkalizes the stomach and prevents it from many digestive and intestinal problems.
- Coconut water – 6 oz
- Cucumber (fresh) – 1/4th piece
- Take cucumber piece and peel it off.
- Then take a blender or food processor and place this coconut water and cucumber pieces in it.
- Blend this to puree on high speed for about 15 – 25 seconds or till it forms thin liquid.
- Pour this thin drinkable liquid in an empty glass.
- Drink this cucumber mixed coconut water 10 – 15 minutes after taking meals or at the first sign which you find it as a discomfort caused by this acidity.
- You can even store this drinkable liquid in refrigerator for up to 48 hours by preparing this in large quantities.
- Continue the intake of this cucumber mixed coconut water after every meal will definitely help you to get complete control over the acidity.
Spearmint is another excellent remedy for treating acidity especially if it is caused due to indigestion. Mint leaves are actually helpful in curing the indigestion but some healthcare experts says that the heartburn patients should avoid taking this mint leaves why because it relaxes the esophageal valve and thus worsens the symptoms of heartburn.
But remember that this spearmint won’t have that much of menthol as peppermint. So that it helps to relax the stomach muscles and thus reduces the acidity and its symptoms like nausea and other digestive problems. Follow this process to make mint tea for treating acidity.
- Spearmint leaves – 5 to 10
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Honey (optional) – 1 to 2 teaspoons
- Take mint leaves and place them in a cup.
- Then pour hot or warm water into this cup over these leaves.
- Allow it to steep for about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Now strain or else keeps these leaves in that tea.
- Add honey or any other sweetener to this tea (if required).
- Drink this mint tea after meals to get relief from the acidity.
- Regularize the intake of this mint tea after meals to cure acidity completely.
Cinnamon is a natural antacid that effectively helps to dispel the stomach gas and thus relieves the acidity. Most of the people use this cinnamon for their better digestion and acidity. Try this cinnamon tea to keep the acidity and indigestion at bay.
- Cinnamon powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Water – 1 cup
- Take a pot and place this on stove or heat.
- Add cinnamon powder and water to it.
- Stir it well and boil it for few minutes.
- Then turn off the heat and pour this in an empty cup.
- Drink this cinnamon tea for 2 – 3 times a day to clear the acidity.
- Or you can also add this cinnamon powder to the soup or salad and have this regularly.
14. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar is generally acidic in nature but it exhibits the alkalizing effect when taken into the stomach and thus helps to treat stomach acidity from the root. You have to just mix pure, raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar with water to clear the problem.
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 to 2 teaspoons
- Water – 1 cup
- Take organic apple cider vinegar and add this to water.
- Mix it well and drink this before taking meals.
- Continue the intake of this apple cider vinegar for once or twice daily until you get complete relief from the acidity.
Cloves are very helpful in alleviating the acidity by dispelling the gas with its carminative effect. This also increases the hydrochloric acid (HCL) in the stomach. Many people believe that the acidity is caused by low stomach acid also and this clove will increase the stomach acid to balance the acid base reaction in the stomach and cures all the stomach related problems.
Method – 1:
- Cloves – 2 to 4
- Take cloves and place them in the mouth.
- Start chewing them to extract its juice which goes into the system.
- The intake of this clove juice regularly will help to prevent the acidity by proper digestion.
Method – 2: (Cloves with Cardamom)
- Take cloves and cardamom in equal quantities.
- Place them in a blender or mortar and pestle.
- Crush them finely and have this crush mixture to minimize the acid reaction in the body.
- You can also store the remaining crushed mixture in an airtight container for future purpose.
- Regular intake of this clove – cardamom mixture will not only prevents acidity but also helps to freshen the breath to stop bad breath and improves the indigestion.
16. Herbal Decoction:
We’re all well aware that the therapeutic properties of many seeds and herbs like cumin, fennel, coriander, etc. will work as a great remedy for treating acidity. So the combination of all these herbs in a herbal decoction can provide you with a power packed remedy for curing acidity quickly and completely.
Here is the recipe on how to prepare this herbal decoction for acidity.
- Cumin seed powder – 1 teaspoon
- Fennel seed powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander seed powder – 1 teaspoon
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Take a glass and add all the seeds powder in it.
- Then add water and sugar to these seeds powder.
- Stir it well to make it fine decoction.
- Consume this in every morning on an empty stomach to cure the acidity.
- Do this process in every morning until you prevent and get complete relief from the acidity.
Cardamom is an Ayurvedic traditional medicine in India that was used to treat acidity very well. It helps to stimulate the digestion and thus relieves the stomach spasms and acid reactions in the stomach. Usage of cardamom will also help to soothe the inner lining of the stomach which in turn helps to clear the effects of excess acid production for a faster relief from the acidity.
- Cardamom pods – 2 to 3
- Water – 1 cup
- First of all, take cardamom pots and crush them to get into powdered form.
- Take a pan and place it on the heat or stove.
- Then add this crushed cardamom pods (either with or without skin) to this pan.
- Now pour water into this pan and boil it for few minutes.
- Allow it to cool down for few minutes.
- Finally drink this cooled cardamom water to get instant relief from acidity.
- Regularize the habit of drinking this cardamom water for quick and effective relief from the acidity and other stomach related problems.
18. Amla or Indian Gooseberry:
Indian gooseberry or amla has rich amount of vitamin C that effectively helps to heal the injured stomach lining and esophagus. Regular intake of the amla will help you to deal with acidity.
- Amla powder – 1 teaspoon
- Take amla powder and have this whenever you’re suffering from this acidity.
- Continue the intake of this amla powder for twice a day to get complete control over the acidic levels in the stomach.
- Or you can also take amla juice which was freshly extracted from amla and adding a cup of water to it and stir it well to have this juice.
Jaggery will also helps for better digestion by alkalizing the digestive tract and reduces the acidity in the stomach. You can easily find this jaggery in most of the Asian or Indian markets. You just simply suck a small piece of this jaggery after completing the each meal until the acidity calm down in the stomach. You can also drink a glass of cold milk by dissolving enough of jaggery (for sweetness) in that milk for instant relief. But make sure that diabetic patients should not use this remedy for their health issue.
20. Cold Milk:
Milk has the property of stabilizing the gastric acids in the stomach. We all know that milk has rich amount of calcium that helps to prevent the build – up of stomach acids. So for this, you have to drink a glass of cold milk regularly to soothe the acidic reaction and prevent acidity. Have this milk in the next time whenever you suffer from acidity.
Fruits that causes Acidity:
Even though eating fruits is actually recommended for healthy diet but you must be careful while choosing the fruits as the acidic levels of the fruits will also affect the health and causes acidity in you. Regularly our body struggles to maintain the proper balance between the acid and alkaline levels.
We all know that normal pH balance of the body will range in between 6.8 to 7.8 and there are a lot of chemicals in the body and the stomach which helps to keep the ideal balance of pH levels. Coming to the pH of the blood which is slightly alkaline will range in between 7.35 to 7.45 why because the body is composed of about 70% of water that has a neutral pH value of 7.
Always remember that most of the body or stomach pH level will be either changing or maintaining is depends mainly on the foods which you eat. So in this article, you’re going to know about the acidity in fruits and how they affect our body when you ate it.
Indication of Acidity in Fruits:
Fruits has natural acids like oxalate acid, citrus acid, etc. in it and when we consume this in moderation then the acids in those fruits are considered to be beneficial for us. But most of the foods which we’re taking in these days are acidic foods which will produce more of acids in various forms in the body. This will definitely leads to the imbalance in the body pH levels and thus results in several diseases. Apart from this problem, if you consume more of the high acidity fruits then that makes you unable to manage the balance between the acid and alkaline pH levels in the body. So its recommended that you have to know which fruits are acidic in nature and what fruits you have to consume to maintain the normal pH level in the body and stomach.
Fruits with their Acidic levels:
Here is the list of fruits along with their acidity levels…
Sub or Semi Acidic fruits:
Alkaline or Non – acidic Fruits:
Finally remember one thing that you have consume the citric fruits like oranges, kiwifruit, blueberries, strawberries, grapefruit, etc. which has high acidity why because they has immune boosting properties which are essential for the proper bodily functions. So have fruits as per the body acidic or pH levels.
Foods for Treating Acidity:
When discussing about acidity, one major thing is called diet, means the food which we consume plays an important role for increasing acidity or neutralizing the acid in the stomach. So follow the below mentioned food chart which describes what to eat and what not to eat in the daily diet to clear acidity.
Foods to include in Diet (Alkalizing Foods):
Intake of these alkalizing foods regularly will help you to get control over acidity and other digestive and intestinal problems. The foods which are listed here are considered to be most neutral to most alkaline promoting foods.
- Draft beer (more neutral)
- White wine
- Mineral water
- Red wine
- Green beans
- Raisins (more alkaline promoting food)
Foods to exclude in Diet (Acidic Foods):
Avoid the intake of these acidic foods in your daily diet to get complete control over acidity and also to prevent this acidity and other abdominal problems in future. The foods which are listed here are considered to be most neutral to most acid forming foods.
- Olive oil (more Neutral)
- Low fat yogurt
- Whole milk
- Lentils (boiled)
- White bread
- Whole wheat cooked spaghetti
- Plain bagel
- Peanuts (dry roasted)
- Hot dog
- Lean beef
- Wild cooked trout
- Whole egg (hard boiled)
- Brown rice
- Cooked salmon
- White canned tuna fish
- Canned sardines
- Cooked turkey bacon
- American / cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese (more acid producing)
Tips to Reduce the Acidity:
Small small changes will bring great difference in solving the problem. So follow these simple tips as a part of your regular lifestyle to clear the acidity, acid reflux and other digestive problems.
- Even aniseed is also helpful for preventing the acidity. For this, you have to boil a cup of water and in this water you have to add a teaspoon of aniseed in it and cover it. Keep it aside for overnight and then strain the water in the next morning. Drink this by adding a teaspoon of honey and have this for thrice daily to get rid of the acidity.
- Take 1 1/2 liters of water and add a teaspoon of caraway seeds and place them in a pot which is on the stove and boil it for few minutes. Simmer it for about 15 minutes and sip it slowly while it is warm. For more effective results, drink this concoction for 2 – 3 times a day for about 5 – 7 days.
- If you’re suffering acidity due to obesity or overweight then you have to strictly follow the weight loss diet along with some regular exercises to lose weight and also to maintain the normal weight.
- Daily intake of cabbage juice or chewing a raw garlic clove will help to cure acidity.
- More intake of carbohydrates like rice will help for easier and faster digestion and thus to prevent the acidity.
- Daily drinking a glass of warm water in the early morning is the most simple and effective tip for treating acidity.
- Also you have to drink water of at least 7 oz quantity throughout the day as it neutralizes the acid in the body and thus prevents the occurrence of acidity as well.
- Its advisable to take 5 – 6 small meals rather than 3 big meals in a day and also take your dinner for at least 3 hours before going to sleep. Avoid taking late night dinners or skipping the meals.
- It’s also advisable to avoid protein and calcium rich foods such as milk and other dairy products (except buttermilk) at night time. You can simply replace these dairy products with soy, rice or almond milk products.
- Never ever delay to consult the healthcare provider or Gastroenterologist if you’re frequently suffering from acidity to get well treated for preventing this acidity problem. As this acidity is itself a symptom of any other health problem.
- Regular intake of foods like pineapple, avocadoes, banana, cucumber, yogurt and coconut water will also help to give relief from the problem.
- Include vegetables like parsley, garlic, barley grass, Brussels, sprouts, collard greens, cabbage, dandelion, mustard greens, rutabaga, peas and peppers in your daily diet to cure acidity.
- Intake of protein rich foods like pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds, squash seeds, whey protein, millet, eggs, fermented soy, etc. in the daily diet will help to provide alkalizing effect to neutralize the acidic nature in the body.
- Include spices like curry, cinnamon, miso, curry, ginger, mustard, etc. which can be used as a seasoning to make the food more alkaline to reduce acidity.
- Eliminating most of the acidic foods which include fats, oils, red meat, processed foods, sugar, wheat and artificial sweeteners from the diet and also avoid the intake of coffee, tea, soda and fruit juices will be more beneficial for treating the acidity in the stomach.
- You have to fill your plate with vegetables in more than half for meals. This is because the vegetables are alkaline and thus helps to balance the pH levels.
- Eating celery before or during each and every meal is very effective as this is high in alkaline and helps to counteract the effect of acid which we eat.
- Intake of grapefruit 15 minutes before taking your breakfast will help to alkalize the acidity of proteins and carbs which you eat later throughout the day.
- Its always better to squeeze lemon or its juice on the salads, in water or over rice to alkalize the food which you’re eating and to reduce the acidity.
- Including healthy fats like avocado, raw nuts, raw seeds, omega – 3 oils, etc. in enough calories every day will help to strengthen the heart and promotes the healthy skin and hair. Also use olive oil or flax oil for dressing the salads.
- Stress is another important factor that causes acidity. So manage your stress by doing yoga, medication, etc. and also it would be sound to sleep for at least 7 – 8 hours every night.
- Doing some regular exercises like power walk, jogging, etc. will help to lose weight and good for proper digestion and thereby reduces the acidity.
- Mixing baking soda or salt in the recipes will help you to counteract the acidity. But make sure that not to have this baking soda, salt or lemon juice in your daily diet as this will affect your health.
- Its advisable that not to drink water during or immediately after a meal as it can lead to improper digestion which in turn results in acidity.
While there are many antacids and other pharmaceutical remedies for dealing with stomach acidity which is caused due to certain foods or overeating but the natural one is more effective with long lasting results without any side effects. Make sure to consult the doctor, if any symptoms persist, as each and every remedy is not suitable to everyone’s health condition.
This is all about Home Remedies to get rid of Acidity. Hope you’ll try these remedies at home to get complete relief from acidity. Do you think that anything I missed mentioning in this article? Then share your experience with us.
Acidosis: A Widespread Problem
Today the vast majority of the populace in Western (industrialized) nations suffers from problems caused by acidification, because both modern lifestyle and diet promote acidification of the body’s internal environment.
In general, the current standard diet is primarily composed of acidic or acidifying elements (proteins, cereals, sugars). Alkaline foods such as vegetables are eaten in much smaller quantities; their alkaline content is insufficient to neutralize surplus acids. Furthermore, the consumption of stimulants like tobacco, coffee, tea and alcohol, every one of which has an extremely acidifying effect on the body, has grown to enormous proportions.
Stress, nervous tension, noise, shortage of time, and other pressures are facts of life today and contribute to increasing the body’s acidification through the physiological disturbances they create.
Physical exercise, which can play an important role in maintaining acid-alkaline balance, is more often than not either insufficient or excessive. In both cases, acidification of the bodies internal environment is the result.
Of all the factors causing acidification, the most important is unquestionably food. The majority of acidosis sufferers can be treated simply by significantly reducing their consumption of acids and increasing their consumption of alkaline foods.
When the bodies internal environment becomes acidified, the body can fall ill in three different ways.
The first is connected to the activity of enzymes. Enzymes are the “worker drones” behind all the biochemical transformations that take place in the body and on which the proper functioning of the organs depend. Enzymes can perform their task correctly only in an environment with a clearly defined PH; otherwise their activity can be disrupted or even cease completely.
The second way the body becomes ill is due to the harsh, corrosive nature of acids present in excess amounts with the tissues. Before they are neutralized by alkaline substances, the acids irritate the organ with which they come in contact. Inflammation, sometimes quite painful, results, as well as lesions or hardening of the tissues. This primarily affects the organs charged with the elimination of the strong acids, such as the skin and kidneys. Many cases of eczema, hives, itching and red patches of skin are due to the irritation caused by excessively acidic sweat.
The third cause of suffering from excess acid is loss of minerals, since the body gives up alkaline minerals to neutralize acids. This demineralization can be quite significant and can affect any organ because alkaline minerals are stored in all the body’s tissues. The best-known consequences of demineralization are problems affecting the skeleton and teeth. Bones lose their calcium, and along with it their resistance and flexibility, to the point where they break far too easily, lose their density, wear away at the intervertebral disks and so forth. Teeth can also become more brittle because of mineral loss. They can chip, become over sensitive to hot and cold foods, or become more susceptible to cavities.
The brittleness caused by demineralization also weakens hair, which loses it shine and resilience and starts falling out in greater quantity.
Fingernails split and break under the slightest impact; skin dries and cracks or wrinkles; the gums become deformed and oversensitive and bleed easily.
The Fruit Solution
Every fruit is a complete entity in and of itself and should whenever possible be eaten in its entirety, skin seeds and all. Of course, apricot kernels and cherry stones are too large to be swallowed easily and too hard to be digested. But apple, orange and grape seeds, among others, contain elements that are of great benefit to the body and are useful to its metabolism of the fruit. Furthermore, the skin of fruits contains numerous minerals and enzymes that facilitate neutralization of the acid contained in the fruit pulp. It is thus a mistake to peel apples and pears and to get rid of the skins of figs, grapes, prunes and so forth. Only orange and citrus fruit peel, melon rind, and pomegranate skin should be thrown away, even if they have not been treated with pesticides and other chemicals.
Fresh fruits can be eaten as they are or shredded or chopped in a fresh fruit salad. Fresh fruits are naturally sweeter, so adding sugar should be avoided, because sugar is an acidifying agent. It is also best not to eat fruits along with cereal grains, for example in granola or muesli, because the combination of fresh fruit and cereal flakes is hard to digest and encourages fermentation, which is a great producer of acid toxins.
Cooking fruit does not reduce its acidity. When cooking compotes and pies, it is important to use ripe apples and not green apples that have fallen prematurely.
Shredding or slicing fruit makes it more alkaline, because the contact of the pulp with the air allows some more of its acid content to oxidize.
The only alkalizing fruit, the banana, is not easily digested by everyone. This is usually because it has been picked before it has become truly ripe. A ripe banana has very sweet, soft flesh. Its sugar content can be increased by mashing it into a puree with a fork or a spoon and allowing it to sit out in the air for ten or twelve minutes before eating it.
Dried fruits have lost the greater portion of their water content, and thus their juice, after having been set out to dry under the sun or in an oven. Dates are an exception; they are naturally low in water, and the way they appear in stores ready for consumption is exactly how they look when ripening on the tree.
Dried fruit is extremely concentrated, and some people have trouble digesting it. Soaking the fruit in water for twelve to twenty-four hours before eating it makes it more easily digestible. It can be eaten with or without its soaking liquid.
Choosing Your Fruits
Acidic Fruits: orange, tangerine, clementine, mandarin orange, grapefruit, strawberry, peach, apple, kiwi
Semi-Acidic Fruits: apricot, cherry, pear, plum, raspberry, blueberry, nectarine, grape, mango, papaya
Neutral Fruits: banana, date, fig, prune, dried fruit
Melon Family: cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew melon
Acid Removing: pineapple, lemon
When mixing fruits, you should try and only combine fruits from the acid and semi-acid group together and the semi-acid and the neutral fruits together. This way you will avoid creating extra acid in your body. The melon family should always be eaten alone and not mixed with other fruits.
Title: The Acid-Alkaline Diet for Optimum Health
Author: Christopher Vasey, N.D