To eat and lose weight at the same time is every woman’s cherished dream. Luckily Russian cuisine is rich in products to help you stay in shape. Not convinced? Russia Beyond brings reveals how Russian women stay so slim!
1. Kefir and cottage cheese
All dairy products, especially kefir, sour milk, and cottage cheese, help to burn fat by boosting certain hormones in the body. There is substantially less glucose in these products than ordinary milk. Moreover, they contain high-quality proteins that accelerate metabolism. Russian ladies also fast on certain days and drink nothing but kefir (up to 1.5 liters) in a bid to lose a couple of kg. Fresh vegetables and cucumbers can be added to kefir.
2. Buckwheat porridge (grechka)
Grechka is a rich source of fiber and slow burning carbohydrate. It’s digested slowly, so releases energy over the course of a few hours to keep you going longer. It’s better to eat grechka without salt or sugar – you can also add fresh vegetables and greens.
Grechka can be boiled in water, but in Russia it’s usually steamed to preserve its nutrients. Mix one cup of dry grechka with two cups of boiling water and leave overnight in a covered pot – which can be wrapped in a dishcloth to keep the heat inside.
Fasting on 250 grams of grechka (dry cereal) for a day can help you lose one kg.
Drinking lots of water is good for the skin and fills up your stomach, so you don’t feel so hungry. Almost 95 percent of a cucumber is water and the vegetable hardly has any calories – perfect for losing weight.
Replace heavy salads (mayonnaise, dressing, meat, etc) with cucumbers and you’ll see results in just a week. You can also fast on cucumbers: Eating 1.5 kg of the green-skinned fruit (a light cucumber salad, for example) can help you lose one kg a day!
Andrey Turusov/Global Look Press
An age-old Russian food, sauerkraut, is one of the most low-calorie dishes in Slavic cuisine, containing only 10 calories per 100 grams. Moreover, fresh white cabbage is rich in acids that prevent carbohydrates from turning into fat. Therefore, if you’ve eaten too many sweets, eat a cabbage leaf, as was customary in the low-calorie ancient Russian diet.
The cabbage diet can deliver a five-kg weight loss in just one week. You can eat cabbage leaves anytime you are hungry. Also, it’s recommended eating a salad with cabbage, carrots, and apples for breakfast and lunch and drinking a glass of non-fat kefir before going to bed.
If you eat a small bowl of raspberries everyday before breakfast, it will help you to stay slim (raspberry jam doesn’t count!). The fruit aids the digestion of “fast” carbohydrates – they are also delicious.
In Russia, it’s important not to get sick during the winter. Ever since the 16th century Russians have been eating grated horseradish. The root goes very well with fish – Russia’s national food. It also helps to burn fat: It’s ideal as a seasoning but be careful, it’s strong and can sting the nostrils.
Can you imagine Russian cuisine without apples? Everyone loves apples and they help us to lose weight. They can also very easily replace sweets. Fasting on 1.5 kg of apples per day can help you lose one kg.
It’s not recommended to fast for more than one day a week.
If using any of Russia Beyond’s content, partly or in full, always provide an active hyperlink to the original material.
Getting into a restaurant and waiting for your order sets your stomach on fire! And this fire may really eat you up if you are about to be served with paneer butter masala, dal makhani, tandoori roti and chicken biryani! The names of these popular north Indian foods are enough to bring about some emotional hunger even if you have had your last snack just a few minutes ago! But what about your promises on shedding off a few kilos? “Gone with the wind?” No! Hold it right there, here is a North Indian diet plan for weight loss. Achieving weight loss goals with north Indian diet may not seem to be feasible for you, but limiting your caloric intake to 1200 a day may help to serve your purpose.
Here is a sample Indian diet plan for weight loss for you:
Indian Diet Plan for Weight Loss (1200 calories)
|Food Item||Amount||Calories (kcal)||Protein(g)|
|Lukewarm water with lemon||1 cup|
|Tea (without sugar)||1 cup||35|
|Skimmed milk with sugar||1 glass||90||8|
|Brown bread upma||1 plate||205||6|
|Fruit salad||1 small bowl||40|
|Veg Khichdi||1 medium bowl||202.5||9.5|
|Veg raita||1 small bowl||75||3.5|
|Mix veg salad||1 bowl||30||2|
|Tea (without sugar)||1 cup||35||2|
|Missi roti (without oil)||2||200||6|
|Mix veg||1 medium bowl||95||4|
|Curd||1 small bowl||30||1.5|
|Total||1213 kcal||50.5 g|
When Kareena Kapoor started off with her “size zero” venture, many people thought that she will not be able to lose her hefty look! Being a typical Punjabi woman with all the “Punjabi tastes”, how could she finally achieve to hit the target? It was passion coupled with dedication that allowed to her to get into “Tashan” or “style” while defeating her intense urge for Aloo Parathas, a “must-have” breakfast in every Punjabi family!
Do check our other regional Indian diet plan for weight loss
South Indian (karnataka cuisine )
Maharashtrian / Gujrati
Andra diet plan
kerala diet plan
Punjabi diet plan
So many of our readers write to us everyday regarding their confusions and queries regarding this plan while following it and about the effect of this diet plan on their weight, some reader have even lost around 5-6 kgs weight in a month by following this diet plan. We are happy that our weight loss diet plan has helped them. If you too have any questions, please post it below the article. You can also subscribe to our diet services if you wish to get a diet plan tailor made to suit your timings , lifestyle and diet pattern. Please visit this page – Diet services
How is an Ideal Indian diet plan for weight loss made?
An Ideal Indian diet plan for weight loss can be designed keeping in mind the person’s individual requirements. Every person has different caloric requirement. The calorie requirement is based on various factors like age, sex, medical conditions, activity levels, metabolism etc. To lose weight in a healthy manner, calculate your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). This will help you in knowing how many minimum calories your body requires in order to function properly.
This Sample north – Indian diet plan for weight loss will provide you with an idea of what ideally a 1200 calorie north Indian meal looks like. Although you must understand that this is just a generalized Indian diet plan for weight loss, it may or may not suit your weight loss goal as there are chances your body requirements will be different. So do consult your dietician in person to know if you can use this 1200 calorie North Indian Diet plan for weight loss.
If you are interested in spot reduction, you can read –
How to lose fat from face / how to lose double chin
How to lose fats from arms
Tips to lose fat from hips and thigh
How to lose fat from tummy
How to lose belly fat at home
Indian weight loss Diet –
When I say Indian weight loss diet or weight loss diet for Indians, you may think of what nationality has to do with weight loss. But it is definitely related. You will find the answer as you read ahead. Every time you search for weight loss on the internet, you would find hundreds of websites popping up with various diet programs. Most common amongst these are the south beach diet, or general motors’ diet, or Atkins diet. In our curiosity to lose weight, we hurriedly download one of these diets and start following it blindly. But does it really help? No , But the above given Indian diet plan for weight loss will help.
While we research about Indian weight loss diet, we come across many fancy food items that are a little difficult to find in India. We instantly start looking for them and buying them online or at super markets and spend a fortune on them. Here are some Indian foods that are locally available and are equally or even more beneficial for our health and especially for weight loss.
Top 10 Indian Foods For Weight Loss
1] Flax seeds: –
Indian diet plan for weight loss will not be complete without flax seeds. flax seeds are grown in northern and central parts of India and have been a part of the staple local diet since centuries. Its importance and nutrient contents were highlighted only 2 decades ago. Flax seeds have been enjoying the attention of dieters all over the world ever since.
How does Flax seeds help In weight loss diet ?
- Lignans – the lignans and fiber in flax seeds helps in reaching early satiety (the feeling of fullness). This helps you in cutting down on your food intake. Flax seeds also help in weight loss by keeping you full for longer time. The glycemic index of flax seeds is very less, and hence when you add grounded flax seeds to your yogurt or sprinkle it over your salad, it gets absorbed slowly and keeps your blood sugar stable for longer and you do not feel hungry early.
- Lecithin – Flax seeds contain lecithin. Lecithin helps in breaking the fat from the food and the fiber in the flax seeds helps in carrying these fats to the intestine for elimination. And thus saves you from absorbing most of the calories these fats were to provide you with.
- Fiber – The soluble and insoluble fiber in flax seeds makes it a natural laxative. Flax seeds help in cleansing your intestine of the metabolic wastes produced during fat break down while you are on a weight loss regime. Flax seeds help in promoting the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut and thus helping in better digestion.
- Omega 3 – As we all know, Omega 3 helps in improving heart health. Hence flax seeds are especially good for those who have diabetes and blood pressure or any other heart problem and want to manage their weight.
Tips to include flax seeds in Indian diet plan for weight loss :
- Use freshly ground flax seed powder to sprinkle over your yogurt / curd bowl, salads, whole wheat flour dough, dals and on your vegetable preparations too. * Precaution – while using flax seeds powder, ground flax seeds freshly. The oils in flax seeds powder undergo oxidation quickly when exposed to air.
- Use roasted flax seeds to make accompaniments like chutneys.
- You can take a tsp of flax seeds and eat on empty stomach in the mornings.
2] Yogurt / curd: –
Curd is an inseparable part of a vegetarian Indian diet for weight loss. If I tell you that you can consume more calories and still lose weight, you will think I am joking. But this is for true. A study conducted by International journal of sport nutrition and exercise metabolism concluded that 3 servings of curd consumption helped women to lose more fat than those on a low calorie diet.
How does Curd help in Indian diet plan for weight Loss –
- Calcium – Dr Robert Heaney, MD, (an internationally recognized expert in bone biology and calcium nutrition with Creighton University in Nebraska) found in a study that calcium helped in better fat break down in individuals who wanted to lose weight. Yogurt being a good food source of calcium has a similar effect.
- Pro- biotic – As we know that curd / yogurt have active cultures and they help in growth of friendly bacteria. It improves digestion and immunity and ensures better nutrient absorption. These probiotics helps in weight loss too. Although yogurt alone cannot bring about weight loss, but if you are already following a weight loss regime for diet and exercises, curd will help you in achieving your weight loss goals faster and then maintaining them in the long run.
- Protein – The protein present in curd facilitates the weight loss process by becoming the source of energy as well as taking care of the ill effects of strict dieting. It will help in prevention of hair fall and dullness and dryness of skin. So that your skin glows while you shape up your body.
Tips to include yogurt in Indian diet plan for weight loss –
- You can have a cup of plain, low fat yogurt before or after your meal.
- You can mix a fruit and flavor curd / yogurt and have it as a mid meal snack.
- Curd can also be used as a dressing for your simple salads and koshimbir.
- You can make buttermilk out of curd and drink it in between the meals whenever hungry or thirsty. This will help you in feeling full without adding up on the calories.
3] Tomatoes –
These colorful little berries do not only increase the food appeal but is a light house of nutrients and has numbers of benefits when it comes to weight loss diet. The tangy taste will help you sail through your weight loss diet with energy and without starvation.
How does tomato help in Weight loss diet –
- Vitamin c – According to the Journal of American college of Nutrition, Vitamin C Increases the fat burning rate by almost 30 %. Those who are deficient in Vit C, do not lose much fat despite of low calorie diets and strenuous exercises. So if you want to cut down on your fat stores, Add Tomatoes to your meals and see your hard work getting paid.
- Lycopene– Lycopene is an antioxidant and helps in preventing oxidation damage. This will indirectly help in improving immunity and stamina so that you can work out better and burn more calories. Lycopene also helps you in becoming healthier as you lose weight , It helps you reduce the bad cholesterol from the blood vessels and improves your heart health too.
- Oligofructose – After a fatty meal, the small intestine releases a Hormone called CCK (cholecyctokinin) in the stomach. CCK tightens the valves between stomach and intestine contributing to feeling of fullness and helps in reducing the chances of over eating. Oligofructose in tomatoes helps in sustaining this feeling of fullness for longer
- Carnitine – Tomatoes contain Carnitine that speeds up the process of fat break down in the body.
Tips to include Tomatoes in Indian diet plan for weight loss–
- You can use tomatoes in your salads before both the main meals.
- You can add tomatoes to your juices
- Have tomato soups or add tomatoes to your vegetable based soups. It specially tastes great with beans and peas.
4] Cinnamon (Dalchini) –
Cinnamon is a local spice and famous for its sweet aroma. It has a lot of other health benefits too. But let’s first see how cinnamon helps in weight loss.
How does Cinnamon help in Indian Diet Plan For Weight loss
- Manages blood sugar – Cinnamon helps in better sugar management by supporting insulin and increasing the absorption of glucose. Lesser glucose in the blood stream results in lesser fat storage.
- Aromatic oils – The oils in cinnamon that contribute to its aroma helps in bring in satisfaction with the diet food and make you enjoy your meal and eat less. This definitely contributes in weight loss.
- Improves digestion – Experiencing gas / flatulence and heaviness due to increased intake of raw veggies and salads in your diet for weight loss? Cinnamon helps in better digestion, smoothing and calming of intestine lining, treating constipation and improving colon functions. Over all aiding in the weight loss process.
Tips to include Cinnamon in your weight loss diet –
- You can add cinnamon to your green tea or have cinnamon tea.
- Use cinnamon powder to sprinkle over your desserts for better blood sugar management.
- You can use a cinnamon stick and boil it along with water. And drink this water all day long.
- You can add cinnamon powder to the seasoning of your food.
5] Almonds –
The international journal of obesity published a study stating that People who ate 85 gm of Almonds every day Noted 18‘% reduction in their weight and BMI when compared to dieters who did not eat almonds noted only 11 % reduction in their weight and BMI.
How does Almond help in weight loss Diet Plan –
- Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA):– Ala in Almonds increases the rate at which fat is burned in the body. It helps in reaching early satiety (feeling of fullness). Manages cravings and prevents from over eating.
- Protein – Almonds are rich source of protein and do not contain any carbs to contribute to body weight.
- Metabolism – Almonds help in increasing the metabolic rate of the body and helps in burning more involuntary calories. Thus aiding in weight loss. Read – Health benefits of Almonds
Tips to include almonds in your weight loss diet –
- You can soak 12- 15 almonds overnight and have it in the morning and night with your glass of skimmed milk or warm water and lemon.
- You can use soaked and chopped almonds to sprinkle on your salads.
6] Bell pepper (Capsicum) –
Green, yellow, orange and red; bell peppers comes in all vibrant colors assuring their nutritive richness. The Indian bell pepper is rich in Antioxidants like Vitamin and Vitamin C. It is packed with folic acid and fiber. 1 bell pepper contains almost your 1 days requirement of Beta –carotene which explains its role in maintenance of healthy skin, hair and nails.
How does Capsicum help in Indian diet plan for weight loss –
- Capsaicin – Capsaicin found in all kinds of hot peppers and chillies has a tendency to raise body’s temperature. This calls for using up more energy and raising the metabolic rate in a person. Capsaicin also is found to suppress appetite to a bit. All these definitely call for assistance in your weight loss.
- Dihydrocapsiate (DCT) – Unlike Capsaicin, DCT is found in the sweeter varieties of pepper, but has a similar action on weight loss. It helps in burning up extra calories from the body by raising the body’s temperature.
- Piperine – In some scientific studies done over mouse, it was found that piperine in black pepper help in preventing the formation of new fat cells in the body. Although this does not prove that it will be true for humans, but there clearly is no harm in adding this black pepper powder to your salads and adding on the tastes and expecting some good results too.
Tips to include Bell peppers in your Indian diet plan for weight loss –
- You can use all varieties of capsicum in your salads, brown bread sandwiches and whole wheat pasta preparations. This will not only add up on taste but to weight loss factor as well.
- You can grill them on skewers and have them as starters along with other veggies.
- You can add some chilli flakes and black pepper powder to variety of foods, salads and soups.
7] Melons –
Watermelon, cantaloupe, and squash come under melons. These fruits are very rich in potassium and Vitamin C.
How does Water melon and Musk Melon help in Weight loss Diet –
- Melons are high rich in potassium and contain a lot of water. When these melons are eaten in a good quantity, they lead to water flushing through excess urination.
- It is a blessing in disguise for those who have a sweet tooth and are watching out their weight. The sweetness of this fruit will help in satisfying the urge of eating a sweet and at the same time will prevent you from adding up on your waist line.
- Melons are especially good for women or men who have a water retention problem and feel bloated all the time. Melons will help them pass out the excess water through urine and feel Normal and fresh.
How to include Melons in Indian diet plan for weight loss?
- You can have Melons fruits as mid meals while on diet.
- You can have a mixed fruit platter with lots of melons for your breakfast.
8] Brown rice
These complex carbs providing grains are the best way to satisfy your urge to eat rice and still manage to lose weight.
How does Brown Rice help in weight loss Diet –
- Fiber – the goodness of fiber can be enjoyed in abundance in Brown rice. It helps in getting the feeling of fullness and to reach satiety early. Hence you can save yourself from over eating.
- This unpolished husky brown rice are more nutrient dense then white rice and hence save you from deficiencies during weight loss.
- The complex carbohydrates help in slower digestion, and slower release of glucose in the blood. This helps in preventing hunger pangs.
Tips to include Brown rice in Indian diet plan for weight loss –
- You can have brown rice pulav for your lunch / dinner.
Read – Is rice good for weight loss ?
9] Papaya –
Papaya has a belly flattening effect and is very beneficial when it comes to weight loss diet.
How does papaya help in Indian weight loss Diet –
- Proper digestion – when you follow a weight loss diet you tend to eat a lot of raw fruits and vegetables as salads. Constipation is common problem after changing your lifestyle, which slowly gets normal. “Papain “a co – enzyme in papaya helps in proper digestion and helps in regular evacuation of waste.
- Papaya helps in treating bloating and water retention as well.
Read – Benefits of papaya on weight loss and health
Tips to use papaya in your Indian diet plan for weight loss –
- You can have papaya for breakfast.
- Mix papaya with other fruits and enjoy a wholesome goodness with a lot of micro nutrients that will make your skin glow.
- You can also grind papaya to get its pulpy juice and mix it with your other mock tails or have it plain with spices.
10] Lentils –
Lentils are an inseparable part of vegetarian weight loss diets. These are the best sources of Vitamin B group as well as proteins for vegetarians.
How does lentils and sprouts help in Indian weight loss Diet –
- Sprouts majorly provide calories from proteins and have little carbohydrate. Protein rich foods support in weight loss and lentils are hence the best.
- If the Weight loss diets are not planned properly or are inefficient, they bring in problems like dull and dry skin, hair loss, and mouth ulcers and under eye patches. Including sprouts in your diet will help in covering up for proper Nutrition.
- Sprouts are rich in fiber and hence help in reaching satiety and keep you full for longer.
Tips to use sprouts in Indian diet Plan for weight loss –
- You can use sprouts as salads in boiled or steamed form. Raw form is a bit hard on digestion and may cause gas / flatulence.
Did you Know ?
- The brain needs a 20 minutes span to receive signals from the stomach to stop eating. By when you already must have over eaten. To manage this, you must have a plate of salad and a bowl of soup first , and after a gap of 10 – 15 minutes you should consume your main meals. This way you can save yourself from in taking extra calories. Having salads and soups have extra benefit of consuming a lot of fiber which is helpful for weight loss.
- A lot of Indians are confused about the right time to consume water during a meal. Some believe have a glass or two of water before meal will help in curbing the appetite, which is not entirely true. Water will easily pass out to your intestine and you would immediately feel hungry. Water should be consumed in between the meal. This helps in better digestion and bolus formation. People who drink water with their meal face less problems of acidity, constipation or indigestion.
Some more Diet Tips for Indian weight loss diet
- Eat everything you want but maintain moderation. Choosing from variety of foods will ensure a healthy weight loss.
- Soft Drinks , Alcohol , fries , potato chips and potato wedges provide empty calories and should be completely avoided while on weight loss diet
- Try to intake all the bright colored foods like red, orange, yellow and greens. Include a lot of green leafy veggies, they not only provide a lot of important nutrients but also provide a lot of fiber that immensely help in weight loss. Include carrots, Pumpkin, all the colored capsicum for maximum health benefit while on vegetarian weight loss diet.
- Go low on carbs and increase your protein intake. As mentioned above, have a bowl of yogurt / curd, skimmed milk and paneer (cottage cheese).
- Increase your fluid intake. Have a lot of soups, fruit juices (without adding sugar), coconut water, buttermilk, milk, and plain water. Consuming fruits with a lot of water content like water melons are of help too.
- Change your cooking methods. Give up on deep frying and use microwave or air fryer, replace frying with grilling and steaming or cook in microwave. These would help in cutting down on a lot of calories.
Understand the reason behind your weight. If your weight is attributed due to hormonal issues, diet alone cannot help you in weight loss. You will need to take medical support as well. If sedentary lifestyle is the reason behind your weight, exercising will be equally important as is dieting.
You can try using the above given information about Indian diet plan for weight loss on your own. If you find it hard to implement, we can help you design your personalized Indian diet plan for weight loss. Please visit this page – Diet services
– weight loss tips
– How to lose weight effectively (10 -15 kgs)
Image : Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos
Payal is a Registered Dietician; a Professional Blogger, and a human who believes in healthy living. Here at Dietburrp, you will find her talking about health,weight loss, fitness, parenting, healthy cooking and how to keep yourself motivated to be healthy.
- Six guidelines for safe dieting during lactation
- What might happen if a nursing mother loses weight too quickly?
- Three great tips for weight loss (whether you are nursing or not)
- Specific weight loss methods
- Weight Watchers, Body for Life
- South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet
- Herbal weight loss products
- Additional information
Yes! Nursing mothers can lose weight safely if they follow some basic guidelines.
Six guidelines for safe dieting during lactation
Wait until your baby is two months old before dieting
It’s best not to do anything consciously to lose weight until after the second month. This gives your body enough time to successfully establish a healthy milk supply that is less likely to be adversely affected if your caloric intake is restricted. Breastfeeding your baby, on average, burns 200-500 calories per day (above what you needed to maintain your pre-pregnancy weight) — so keep in mind that even without a weight loss program you are burning extra calories.
Breastfeed without restriction
Research tells us that both more frequent breastfeeding and breastfeeding longer than six months increases maternal weight loss.
Eat at least 1500-1800 calories per day
While nursing, you should not consume less than 1500-1800 calories per day, and most women should stay at the high end of this range. Some mothers will require much more than this, but studies show that going below this number may put supply at risk.
Keep weight loss at less than 1.5 pounds per week
Most moms can safely lose up to 1.5 pounds per week or 6 pounds per month after the second month and not affect milk supply or baby’s well being. One study has suggested that short-term weight loss of 2.2 pounds (1 kg) per week is not a problem (in this study, moms dieted for 11 days).
Decrease the calories gradually
A sudden drop in calories can reduce milk supply. Some moms notice this during an illness, although dehydration and/or medication use could also be a factor in reduced milk supply when mom is sick. It has been hypothesized that a sudden calorie decrease can cause mom’s body to go into “starvation mode” and cut nonessential resources such as milk production.
Avoid quick-fix solutions
Liquid diets, low-carb diets, fad diets, weight loss medication, etc. are not recommended while breastfeeding.
What might happen if a nursing mother loses weight too quickly?
- In most instances of too-rapid weight loss, it is not the breastmilk (composition or supply) that would suffer, but mom’s nutrition and/or health.
- Excessive dieting can result in a reduced milk supply.
- According to Breastfeeding and Human Lactation (3rd Edition, Riordan, pp 440), it is noted that fad or rapid weight loss programs should be avoided because fat-soluble environmental contaminants and toxins stored in body fat are released into the milk when caloric intake is severely restricted. I was unable to find a definition of “severely restricted” but I expect that it is significantly under 1500 calories per day (which they called a “modest intake”). I’ve included information on a study on this subject below. See also the info at this website regarding environmental contaminants and breastfeeding.
Three great tips for weight loss (whether you are nursing or not)
Make dietary changes — decrease your fat intake to 20-25% or less of total calories; keep your protein intake up to prevent loss of muscle mass (Recommended Intake of protein for nursing mothers is 65 grams/day for the first 6 months and 62 grams/day between 6 and 12 months).
Spread your calorie intake out — instead of 2-3 meals, eat 3 smaller meals with snacks between. Your body will be less likely to go into “starvation mode” if you are eating small amounts throughout the day.
Exercise moderately so that you burn more fat while keeping lean muscle mass. Resistance/weight training is a good way to build muscle mass. A person with more muscle mass burns more calories, even when resting.
Specific weight loss methods
Weight Watchers, Body for Life
Weight Watchers and Body for Life are generally considered to be fine for breastfeeding mothers. Weight Watchers has a program specifically aimed at nursing mothers. As always, avoid cutting calories too abruptly or losing weight too quickly.
South Beach Diet, Atkins Diet
See Low carb diets and breastfeeding.
Herbal weight loss products
See Herbal weight loss products and breastfeeding.
- Low carb diets and breastfeeding
- Herbal weight loss products and breastfeeding
- Do nursing mothers need extra calories or fluids?
- Can I continue to breastfeed if I work out/exercise?
- Religious Fasting and Breastfeeding
- How does mom’s diet affect her milk?
- Do I need to take vitamins?
- Can my diet affect the amount of fat or calories in my milk?
- Can a nursing mother eat this food?
@ other websites
- Nutrition, Exercise, and Weight Loss While Breastfeeding by Anne Smith, IBCLC
- Weight loss for Nursing Moms by Paula Yount
- Weight Loss After Pregnancy by Dr. Jay Gordon
- Losing Weight while Breastfeeding La Leche League FAQ
- Q&As by Kathy Kuhn, IBCLC & Debbi Donovan, IBCLC
- Nutrition Analysis Tool (NAT) from the Food Science and Human Nutrition Department at the University of Illinois
- Hammer RL and Hinterman C. Exercise and Dietary Programming to Promote Maternal Health Fitness and Weight Management During Lactation. Journal of Perinatal Education, 7(2), 13–26.
Lovelady CA, et al. Weight change during lactation does not alter the concentrations of chlorinated organic contaminants in breast milk of women with low exposure. J Hum Lact 1999 Dec;15(4):307-15. The results of this study suggest that moderate weight loss (4.1 kg/9 lbs between 4 and 20 weeks postpartum) in lactating women with low exposure to environmental contaminants does not increase contaminant concentration in breast milk.
McCrory MA. Does dieting during lactation put infant growth at risk? Nutr Rev 2001 Jan;59(1 Pt 1):18-21. For some women, postpartum retention of weight gained during pregnancy may contribute to obesity. A recent 10-week randomized intervention showed that infants of initially overweight, lactating mothers who exercised and dieted to lose an average of 0.5 kg/week grew normally.
Lovelady CA, et al. The effect of weight loss in overweight, lactating women on the growth of their infants. N Engl J Med 2000 Feb 17;342(7):449-53. This study found that weight loss of approximately 0.5 kg (1.1 pound) per week between 4 and 14 weeks post partum in overweight women who are exclusively breast-feeding does not affect the growth of their infants.
McCrory MA, et al. Randomized trial of the short-term effects of dieting compared with dieting plus aerobic exercise on lactation performance (link is to full article). Am J Clin Nutr 1999 May;69(5):959-67. This study found that short-term weight loss (approximately 1 kg/2.2 pounds per week) through a combination of dieting and aerobic exercise appears safe for breast-feeding mothers and is preferable to weight loss achieved primarily by dieting because the latter reduces maternal lean body mass. Longer-term studies are needed to confirm these findings.
Dewey KG. Effects of maternal caloric restriction and exercise during lactation (link is to full article). J Nutr 1998 Feb;128(2 Suppl):386S-389S. Studies suggest that, for women who are not underweight initially, lactation is not adversely affected by moderate rates of weight loss (no more than 2 kg/4.4 pounds per month) achieved by either caloric restriction or exercise. A short period of more rapid weight loss is not harmful to lactation. It is unknown, however, whether there are risks associated with longer periods of rapid weight loss.
Journal search on dieting and exercise during lactation
Our sponsor is not responsible for and has had no influence over the creation, selection or presentation of evidence-based or other information or resources provided on this site.
At a time, when unhealthy lifestyle, unwholesome eating habits and lack of physical activity has made our lives completely dependent on medicines, and chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart diseases, hypertension, and obesity have become widely prevalent among people of all age groups, a complete reform in our lifestyle is what we need to answer the burning question of how to overcome obesity and prevent chronic diseases. The two most important aspects of a healthy lifestyle are – following a healthy diet chart for weight loss and daily physical activity. Young adulthood is considered the healthiest time of life when the body is at the peak of strength and vigour, and it is necessary to maintain it in its ideal state by making the right food choices and staying physically active. In this article, we have presented 4 different diet charts for your men and women based on their daily level of activity.
Daily Calorie Requirements of Young Adults as per Gender and Level of Activity
When it comes to nutrition, young men and women tend to underestimate the importance of a well-planned diet and put more emphasis on matching the standards of physical appearance set by the society. And in the pressure to comply with this generalized social image they ignore their health and diet and often develop eating disorders such as anorexia and bulimia that have serious effects on overall health. It is more common among women rather than men. Paying attention to what one eats and developing healthy eating habits provides long-term benefits. Therefore, it is indispensable to follow a healthy and well-planned diet as per an individual’s daily calorie requirements in order to stay healthy and strong. There are a number of factors that affect the daily calorie requirement of individuals such as age, gender and level of activity, but it has been seen that the daily calorie requirement of young adults ranges between 2000 to 3000 calories.
|Gender||Sedentary Lifestyle||Active Lifestyle|
|Young Women||2000 calories||2400 calories|
|Young Men||2400 calories||3000 calories|
It is essential to define the terms sedentary and active used in the table above in order to get a better idea about the lifestyle and level of physical activity of the group of people mentioned in this table.
“Sedentary” – The word sedentary here stands for a lifestyle that comprises only light physical activity related to regular day-to-day life with no exercise or workouts.
“Active” – The word active here stands for a lifestyle that comprises at least daily walking of more than 3 miles per day at the speed of 3 to 4 miles per hour or involvement in sports along with light physical activity related to typical day-to-day life.
Healthy 2000 Calorie and 2400 Calorie Diet Charts for Young Adult Women
Although, most women opt for easy 1200 calorie meals in order to keep their weight in check, but in most cases merely 1200 calories are not enough to meet the energy requirements of young women who have a busy and active lifestyle. The daily calorie requirement for women aged 19 to 30 years is approximately 2400 calories if they are active and 2000 to 2200 calories if they are moderately active or sedentary. Young women need more of certain nutrients compared to mature women. For example, they require 25 to 30 grams of fiber on a daily basis whereas older adults need 21 grams of fiber. They also require more healthy fats.
2000 Calorie Diet Plan for Young Women with Sedentary Lifestyle
Following is a sample 2000 calorie diet plan that can be used by young adult women between 18 to 30 years of age with a more or less physically inactive lifestyle. It is one of the best diets that work for women who want to maintain a healthy body weight without much exercise. It can also be used as one of the effective diet plans to lose weight when combined with daily exercise for at least one hour daily. The 2000 calorie diet plan contains all the essential nutrients in optimum proportion in order to promote healthy functioning of the body.
The 2000 calorie diet plan is divided into 3 meals and 2 snacks, each meal consisting of approximately 500 calories and each snack consisting of approximately 250 calories.
Breakfast – 1 cup cooked oatmeal, 1 cup mixed raisins and almonds, 1 cup low-fat milk
Mid-Morning Snack – 1 cup low-fat yogurt, 1 cup sliced apples
Lunch – 1 cup cooked brown rice, 1.5 cups steamed broccoli, 1 cup tofu or cottage cheese curry cooked with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Evening Snack – 20 grams dry roasted peanuts
Dinner – 2 whole grain bread slices, 85 grams of grilled chicken breast, 2 cups of leafy green vegetables
2400 Calorie Diet for Young Women with Active Lifestyle
2000 calories are not enough for women engaged in moderate to intense workouts on a daily basis or who are into vigorous sports activities. In such cases, the total calorie requirements for women are approximately 2400 calories. A balanced 2400 calorie diet plan can help in increasing lean muscle mass in active women by cutting out excess fat from the body. The 2400 calorie meal plan should include foods from all the major food groups such as vegetables, fruits, grains, meat, and dairy. Not more than 35% of the daily calories should come from fats, unsaturated fats preferably.
The 2400 calorie diet plan is divided into 3 meals and 2 snacks, each meal consisting of approximately 600 calories and each snack consisting of approximately 300 calories.
Breakfast – Banana smoothie made with 1 banana, 1 cup of skim milk and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter along with 2 scrambled eggs and 1 slice of whole grain bread
Mid-Morning Snack – 10 whole grain crackers with 2 tablespoons of hummus
Lunch – 1 cup of cooked brown rice, 85 grams of grilled or baked fish, 1 baked sweet potato, 1 cup spinach salad, 2 small oat cookies
Evening Snack – 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with 2 tablespoons of almonds, 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Dinner – Pasta salad made with 1 cup whole wheat pasta, 1/2 cup chicken breast diced, chopped bell peppers and tomatoes. 1 Pear
Importance of a Balanced and Healthy Diet for Young Women
Young adults are not much bothered about what they eat, but diet can have an enormous effect on the level of energy, appearance, and health in the long run. So, it is important to eat foods from all food groups in order to get the essential nutrients for healthy working of the body.
- A healthy diet for young women should have vegetables, fruits, whole grains, low-fat dairy and proteins as the foundation.
- Some of the best natural protein sources include lean meat, eggs, fish, beans, and lentils.
- The minerals iron and calcium are extremely important for young women in order to build and maintain strong bones and reduce the risk of bone loss and osteoporosis in future.
- Some healthy sources of calcium are nonfat yogurt, milk, cheese and dark leafy vegetables.
- Iron deficiency in young women can result in irregular menstrual cycle, fatigue, faintness and lack of concentration.
- Folic acid is yet another essential nutrient for young women because it promotes the formation of new cells and reduces the risk of birth defects.
- Some effective natural sources of folic acid are citrus fruits, whole grains, beans, legumes and leafy vegetables.
- It is necessary to cultivate eating habits that are healthy and sustainable.
Healthy 2400 Calorie and 3000 Calorie Diet Charts for Young Adult Men
Calorie requirements for men vary considerably from that of women because of their higher rate of metabolism. Therefore a balanced diet chart for young men should be planned accordingly so that it can supply adequate amount of nutrients in order to maintain healthy functioning of the body and reduce the risk of developing chronic diseases like type 2 diabetes or obesity in future. A young male between the ages of 18 to 30 years requires approximately 2400 calories a day in order to sustain his body weight. The 2400 calorie diet is one of the best diets to lose weight for men if it is combined with daily physical activity and strength training. For those who are into muscle building or intense sports activities, a 3000 calorie diet rich in protein is more suitable in order to boost the formation of lean muscle mass in the body.
2400 Calorie Diet Plan for Young Men with Sedentary Lifestyle
A 2400 calorie diet plan is appropriate for physically active women aged 19 to 30 years and for all adult men. A diet chart consisting of 2400 calories is considered one of the healthy diets for men because it induces weight loss when it is coupled with moderate physical activity. Although, most diet plans for men give importance to high-protein foods, but men also need to consume plenty of vegetables and fruits in order to have a well-balanced diet. Fruits and vegetable not only promote weight loss but supply the essential minerals for the body. This aspect is most overlooked amongst this age group.
A 2400 calories diet is divided into 3 meals and 2 snacks, each meal consists of roughly 600 calories and each snack around 300 calories.
Breakfast – 1 Cup fortified cereal, 1 large banana, 1.5 cups skim milk, 2 oat cookies
Mid-Morning Snack – 1 slice of wheat bread with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
Lunch – 1 Cup of brown rice, 200 grams baked or grilled salmon, 1 baked potato, 1 pear
Evening Snack – Yogurt smoothie made with 1/2 cup low-fat yogurt, 1 cup fresh fruits, 1 cup fruit juice
Dinner – Pasta salad made with 1 cup whole wheat pasta, 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, 1 cup of cubed chicken breast, bell peppers and tomatoes and 1 teaspoon of olive oil along with 1 glass orange juice
3000 Calorie Diet Plan for Young Men with Active Lifestyle
Young men are often focused on bodybuilding and athletics and it is well known that the efforts of bodybuilding should be supported by a well-planned bodybuilding diet plan in order to develop a toned and chiseled body. A balanced 3000 calorie diet plan can help most men to gain healthy weight and muscle mass when it is accompanied with regular weight training and indoor cardio workout at the gym. But even in a high-calorie diet plan, it is always important to include a variety of healthy foods ranging from all the food groups in order to get all the nutrients for maintaining good health.
The 3000 calorie diet might sound simple, but it is difficult for most people to consume 3000 calories in just 3 meals and 2 snacks. Therefore, we have divided the 3000 calorie diet into 3 meals and 3 snacks. Each meal consists of approximately 750 calories, and each snack consists of approximately 250 calories.
Breakfast – 2 cups of cooked oatmeal, 2 cups of whole milk, 12 almonds, 1/4 cup raisins, 1 cup orange juice
Mid-Morning Snack – 1 large apple, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
Lunch – 1 cup cooked brown rice, 114 grams of grilled or baked fish cooked with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, 1 cup boiled peas, 1.5 cups of fresh pineapple
Evening Snack – 3 whole wheat crackers, 28 grams cheese
Dinner – Burger made with 85 grams of grilled chicken breast on a whole wheat bun along with 1.5 cups of roasted sweet potato, 1 cup roasted cauliflower.
Bedtime Snack – 1 cup fortified cereal with 1 cup of whole milk
Importance of a Balanced and Healthy Diet for Young Men
As a man grows from youth to adulthood, his nutritional requirements increase with the constant change in bones and muscles and therefore, his diet must be planned accordingly in order to meet these requirements.
- Although 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day is the normal recommendation; but for young men it should be nine servings per day.
- Optimum intake of fruits and vegetables provides dietary fibers, vitamins and minerals to the body and helps in maintaining important functions like the formation of red blood cells, better vision, and improved immune power.
- It also helps in improving digestion and decreasing blood cholesterol.
- Young men need to give adherence to the importance of a balanced diet that includes proteins along with fruits and vegetables.
- Some of the healthiest fruits and vegetables include citrus fruits, berries, apples, bananas, carrots, tomatoes, and cauliflowers.
- Those interested in bodybuilding must follow a specially designed bodybuilding diet plan for mass gain that includes proteins along with other nutrients.
- Muscle building requires 0.8 grams of protein per kg of body weight; however proteins should supply only 13 to 18% of the total daily calories.
- Carbohydrates are the storehouse of energy that provides energy for intense training and also aids the synthesis of new muscle tissue.
- 45 to 65 percent of total calories should come from carbohydrates.
Importance of Exercise and Physical Activity for Young Adults
All of us are well aware of the benefits of exercises and how its helps us to manage body weight in a better way, stay strong and fit, boost energy and reduce stress. Yet, most young men and women fail to get the recommended amount of daily physical activity because of their jobs and family commitments. But, daily physical activity along with a balanced diet can go a long way in maintaining healthy body weight and keeping diseases at bay.
Promote Weight Loss – One of the basic reasons to work out every day it to manage weight in a better way. Intense exercising for 30 minutes a day is enough to promote weight loss when it is coupled with a healthy diet.
De-stress the Mind – Continuous work pressure can lead to depression and other health complications. Exercise works as an amazing diversion to the stress and anxiety. Exercise also relaxes the tense muscles and elevates the mood by promoting the release of endorphin’s.
Promote Brain Functions – Exercises increases blood flow to the brain and stimulates the growth of nerve cells in the particular part of the brain which is involved in memory. This in turn helps in improving brain responses, thus, improving concentration and performance at work.
Improve Oxygen Supply to All Cells of the Body – Daily physical activities can dramatically improve overall health by improving the body’s utilization of oxygen and reducing systolic blood pressure.
Enhance Muscle Strength and Joint Function – Strength training and weight lifting exercises not only help in enhancing muscle mass but also bone strength and metabolism. Strength training workouts put more strain on the muscles and stimulate the formation of proteins inside the muscle cells.
Forget fad diets for weight loss and start following a well-planned diet as per your level of physical activity and try to make some time for workouts even in your busy schedule in order to stay fit, maintain healthy body weight and keep chronic diseases at bay.