Dr Dukan recommends eating oat bran throughout all of the four phases of his diet. There’s more than one good reason for that.
Protein rich diets lack the dietary fiber which is an essential nutrient that plays a crucial role in the entire digestion process.
That said, oat bran is not just another item on the Dukan Diet Safe Food List. In fact, this fiber-rich supplement is the kind of food that will make your weight loss easy, quick and healthy.
Why oat bran?
In his books, Dukan recommends specifically oat bran as a supplementary source of fiber. He mentions two unique properties that make this fiber-rich product so diet-friendly.
After being swallowed, oat bran’s soluble fibers increase their volume by absorbing water. 1 tbsp (tablespoon = 14 g = 0.5 oz) can absorb up to 300 grams (10.5 oz) of water forming a mass that’s quite enough to invoke a quick and long-lasting feeling of fullness.
2. Viscosity / Stickiness
After leaving your stomach, fiber finds its way to your small intestine. Now, a sticky mass of swollen fiber stick to and binds with other particles, including toxins, heavy metals and, what’s even more important on a weigh-loss diet, carbohydrates. Thanks to the latter, the overall calorific score of your meal is be decreased.
According to Dukan, there are many kinds of different brans but not all of them are as equally beneficial as those made of oats. Moreover, it seems that the manufacturing process can infuence bran’s dietary potential. Dukan mentions two particular manufacturing parameters that play a crucial role here:
- Milling that determines the size of the particles and
- Sifting that involves separating the (oat) bran from the (oat) flour
In short, milling can’t be too fine as this would deprive bran of its effectiveness. On the other hand, if the product is too coarse it may lose its viscosity. Sifting must be thorough so that the bran is pure and contains no flour. Too much sifting on the other hand raises the price of the final product.
I am not really convinced that it is so important to use only one kind of oat bran. In fact, you can buy ‘certificated’ oat bran on the official Dukan site. I believe, that the main reason why dr Pierre Dukan elaborated upon the oat bran production process in his book was to market his own brand of oat bran. Of course, there’s nothing wrong with that. On the contrary, if you want to have 100% diet-compliant food try the original oat bran (where to buy).
How much is enough?
Dukan encourages everyday oat bran supplementation as follows:
Phase I: 1.5 tbsp (tbsp = tablespoon = 14 g = 0.5 oz)
Phase II: 2 tbsp
Phase III: 2.5 tbsp
Phase IV: 3 tbsp
Phase I and Phase II is the time when a dieter faces the most severe fiber deficiency. Nonetheless, oat bran is quite a concentrated source of fiber and thus one should introduce it gradually into the menu . On the other hand, as soon as you add more vegetables (and ultimately fruit; Phase III & IV) to your diet, the fiber supplementation will not be that much important. Below, I present a table that shows Daily Reference Values (DRV) of dietary fiber for men and women at different ages. For reference: 1 tbsp of oat bran contains approx. 1.8 g of pure fiber.
Adequate Intake (AI) for Fiber
|Infants||0-6 months||ND (=Not Determined)||ND|
|Adults||51 years and older||30||21|
What is Dietary Fiber?
Dietary fiber is a name that describes a number of indigestible substances of vegetable origin. They are a part of most of vegetables, fruits, grains and leguminous plants (like beans, peas). That being so, you won’t find any fiber in meat, fish, egg, milk, butter, alcohol or oil.
Dietary fiber beneficial properties
Despite not being digestible, fiber plays an essential part in human nutrition. Dietary fiber benefits:
- Reduces appetite by increasing food volume
- Slows down and suppresses digestion of carbohydrates, lowers the level of glucose in blood and reduces body’s demand for insulin
- Decreases risk of colorectal cancers
- Suppresses absorption of cholesterol and triglycerides
- Lowers blood pressure
- Regulates bowels movement by improving peristalsis; prevents constipations
- Acts like a prebiotic – stimulates the growth of digestive system’s friendly bacteria
- Makes you feel full quickly (it swells in the stomach)
- Helps getting rid of toxins and heavy metals
- Binds sodium ions
Where to buy oat bran?
The original Dukan brand should be available here: (the official UK shop) or here (the official US shop).
Personally I have no fear of buying oat bran in my local store or on the internet. Amazon, for instance, offers a number of different fiber-rich products. Find out more here:
Alternatives to oat bran in Dukan Diet
Bran is a outer husk of a grain. It is particularly rich in dietary fiber. Dukan specifically recommends oat bran but there are other kinds that, in case you can’t use oats’ products, will do as well. As far as the Dukan Diet is concerned, the contents of dietary fiber is the most important factor. Let’s see how much fiber is in different types of bran.
First the Dukan’s original with M2bisB6 milling and sifting index:
|Lipids (Fats)||7.4 g|
|Alimentary Fibers||12.8 g|
Some random oat bran from found at amazon.com (Bob’s Red Mill Organic):
|Alimentary Fibres||17.7 g|
Now, let’s have a look at some wheat product (Health Best Wheat Bran – Millers):
|Alimentary Fibres||41.6 g|
And finally, a rice-based product (Bob’s Red Mill All Natural Stabilized Rice Bran):
|Alimentary Fibers||10.6 g|
As you can see, when it comes to the dietary fiber contents, the winner here is wheat bran. It has 2 times more fiber than the renowned oat bran. But some sources indicate that there is a subtle difference between oat bran and wheat bran. In short:
1. Wheat bran contains more of insoluble fibers; oat bran consists mostly of soluble fibers.
2. The insoluble wheat bran fibers are softened as they pass through and they bulk up the stool, causing speedy elimination of waste. Oat bran fibers are dissolved, and form a gel. As the soluble fiber mixes with the bile acids in the intestine, it helps to remove cholesterol.
It seems that dr Dukan chose oat bran because of its ability to turn into that satiating gel. Oat bran looks more versatile than wheat bran as it is composed of some more universal fibers (both soluble and insoluble). The other reason is probably a common gluten intolerance problem.
Bran from oat, wheat, rye, barley and rice vs. gluten intolerance
People who have gluten intolerance usually develop antibodies to the 33-MER peptide. Eating wheat, rye or barley (or their bran) will very likely develop the symptoms of celiac disease. That said, the protein in oat bran doesn’t cause any complaints when consumed in moderation (sources say: less than 1 cup per day).
The other side of the story is that during the manufacturing process oat bran are usually cross-contaminated with wheat, rye or barley. Unfortunately, a gluten sensitive individual who eats contaminated oat will very likely have a reaction to it.
If you have celiac disease, it’s better to avoid oat / wheat / rye / barley bran. It’s a pity, but you won’t be able to use it during any of your Dukan Diet Phases. On the other hand, the solution is the rice bran. Admittedly, rice bran contains less fiber than wheat or oat bran, but at least there is a number of gluten-free products available.
chasing a slender girl figure often prefer a half-starved diet with a minimum of calories, which successfully helps to lose weight. Methods of rapid weight loss leave behind a sagging skin, a minimum of muscle mass. Dyukan Diet The attack is a system of protein nutrition that provides a slimming young lady with the necessary amino acids to break down fats. It is difficult to call it a “diet” in the literal sense: it is the normalization of nutrition for a long time with the stabilization of the results in the future.
What is the first phase of the diet of Pierre Ducan
The initial stage of the Dyukan diet The attack is characterized by rapid weight loss( up to 5-6 kg for 7 days), lack of calorie counting and the volume of dishes. It is necessary to eat oat bran during the diet. The essence of the protein method of weight loss from Dr. Ducan lies in the basic principles:
- Eating a list of foods rich in protein.
- Refusal / restriction in the diet of food with a high proportion of fats and carbohydrates.
- Active way of life and playing sports.
Rules for the adherence to the diet
Attack is the shortest stage, which is very effective in terms of losing weight. The duration of the first phase of the Ducane diet is from one to ten days. The higher the BMI, the more kilograms you initially lose. The average for the first week goes from one and a half to five and a half kilograms. Attack on Dyukan lasts with excess weight:
- 1-2 days – up to 5 kg;
- 3-5 days – up to 10 kg;
- 7-10 days – more than 10 kg.
For the successful functioning of the intestinal phase, the attack of the Ducane diet involves eating 1.5 tablespoons. Spoons of bran( oatmeal).Rich in fiber, they help get rid of the toxins produced by the body when eating protein foods and avoid ketoacidosis. When intolerance to oat bran is allowed to replace them with buckwheat in a similar amount. It is important to follow the general recommendations of the Dykan for those who want to lose weight:
- Drink fluids at least 2-2.5 liters per day.
- Limit salt consumption to a minimum.
- Take vitamin and mineral complexes.
What you can eat in the first stage Attack
The Ducas’s Attack Menu provides for the consumption of protein food only( without fats and carbohydrates).Cook the food on the grill, bake, steam, cook, even grill, but without the use of vegetable oils. In view of the lack of sweet in the diet menu Dyukana, use sugar substitutes. At the stage of Attack are present in the diet:
- Any drinks. Allowed even carbonated labeled Light.
- Oat bran – 1.5 tbsp. Spoons. Do not exceed the dose for the Attack phase! Herbs and spices. The composition of additives should be natural, without taste enhancers.
- Garlic, onion. The number of these products in the menu of Ducask diet Attacks is unlimited.
The list of allowed and forbidden products by Dyukan
The peculiarity of the diet for the Dukan attack is a limited list of allowed products that can be eaten when losing weight “in unlimited quantities.”This term implies the saturation of the body with food to satisfy the feelings of hunger. A strict taboo dietician Pierre Duacan imposes on use in food during the phase of Attack:
- pork( over 6% fat content), lamb;
- sauces / mayonnaise;
- sugar and other sweet foods;
- of corn;
- of all kinds of legumes;
Some types of products are recommended for use in the phase of the Dukan diet Attack in limited quantities:
- tomato paste – no more than 2 tbsp. Spoons;
- eggs – 2 yolks / day, protein – in unlimited quantities;
- crab sticks – not more than 8 pcs.per day;
- lemon – in the form of juice to shade the taste of fish.
Table: 72 protein products for the
72 Product for the phase error in Ducane
|diet meat||veal, beef steak or slice, basturma, rabbit meat, pork dried ham( 6% fat), horsemeat|
|Fish||flounder, cod, sturgeon, salmon, salmonTrout, haddock, navaga, pollock, hedgehog, perch, pike perch, mackerel, carp|
|Byproducts||Beef( calf) tongue, liver, kidneys, heart|
|Bird||Chicken, turkey, quail, guinea fowl, ostrich meat|
|Seafood||Squids, Mussels, shrimps, rapans, scallops, crawfish|
|Dairy( sour milkface to face) products||Low-fat cottage cheese( grain / soft), kefir, yogurt, milk( 0% fat), soft cheese, cream cheese, tofu( soy)|
|Vegetables||eggplant, asparagus, celery, carrots, beets, all kinds ofcabbage, spinach, cucumbers, zucchini, squash, radishes, onions, pumpkin, lettuce, tomatoes|
|Eggs Chicken, quail|
Sample menu for a week
effective in weight loss and most complex in terms of adaptation to protein foods are the days of attacks. Lethargy, fatigue, drowsiness, dizziness and even can beat you on the path to a perfect body. To facilitate the process of feeding, use exemplary Dr. diet menu for every day Ducane stage attacks shown in the table below.
food menu( approximate) 7 day diet Attack from Duke
|1||Breakfast 2 eggs;ham;coffee|
|Lunch||Ear white fish|
|Snack||kefir, curd cinnamon|
|Dinner||Meat balls of turkey;Soy cheese|
|2||Breakfast||Flat cake from Dukan;Slices of red fish|
|Lunch||poultry meat on the grill with herbs and lemon|
|Snack Cottage cheese casserole, yogurt|
|Dinner||Squids on the grill, green tea|
|3||Breakfast||Curd cheese pancakes;natural yoghurt Lunch|
|Dorado stuffed with greens|
|Snack||Cheesecakes, low-fat sour cream|
|Dinner||Fish in its own juice,|
|4||Breakfast||rosehip drink omelet in the oven with herbs;Chicken|
|Lunch||Boiled veal under curd coat|
|Afternoon snack||Fried dumpling from Ducan with tofu cheese, milk|
|Dinner||Rabbit stew, curd cheese cheese with greens|
|5||Breakfast||Pancakes, tofu, coffee with milk|
|Lunch||Chicken broth withEggs and greens|
|Afternoon||Cottage cheese, yoghurt|
|Dinner||Cutlets with horse meat, flat cake( a la Pirac Ducan “Attack”)|
|6||Breakfast||Eggs, sandwich with bran bread and ham, tea|
|Lunch||Noodle soup with shirataki|
|Snack||Curd with yoghurt|
|Dinner||Pastrama with turkey fillet|
|7||Breakfast||Oatmeal porridge, coffee with milk|
|Lunch||Fish soup with greens|
|Afternoon||Curd dessert from Dukan|
|Dinner||Shrimp with cheese sauce, flat cake|
Recipes of dietaryDishes
Recipes on the attack on Dukan differ in variety. Prepare a delicious meat soup, which will be one of the options for meals for lunch on the Ducane diet. You will need the following products:
- chicken meat – 350 g;
- chicken hearts – 100 g;
- ham – 100 g;
- onion – 1 pc.;
- tomato( tomato paste) – 50 ml / 1 tbsp. L.
Description of the preparation recipe for meat soup at the stage of Attack of the Ducane Diet:
- Boil the water in a saucepan( 3 l).Throw the meat in boiling water, bring to a boil.
- Salt to taste. Cook for 10-15 minutes, taking off the foam.
- Sliced ham, hearts, onion, send to the soup.
- After 15 minutes, top up the tomato or put the paste. Cook for 10 minutes. Your meat soup is ready!
Delicate, fragrant syrniki will be an excellent start to the day for those who lose weight in Dyukan during the Attack phase. Ingredients for the dish:
- curd fat-free – 500 g;
- egg chicken – 2 pieces;
- vanilla – on the tip of the knife.
Step by step cooking process( with photo):
- Stir until homogenous egg mass. Add a sweetener to taste.
- Add eggs and vanilla to the ground curd blender.
- Pour in the prepared molds, sending them to the oven for 15-20 minutes( 180 ° C).Extremely tasty
obtained curd casserole for attack with flour or meal of oat bran from Dr Ducane:
- curd( 0%) – 500 g;
- egg chicken – 2 pieces;
- oat-bran meal – 2 tablespoons;
- kefir – 3 tablespoons;
To make this dietary dessert, allowed in the first stage of the “Attack” Ducane diet, perform simple operations:
- Whisk eggs by adding a sweetener.
- For pounded cottage cheese pour the egg mixture, kefir and pour in the flour. Mix until smooth.
- Cover with baking paper, place the mixture and put into the oven at 200 ° C for 20-25 minutes.
In his books, Pierre Duacan stipulates that the protein diet in the Attack phase has a number of side effects and is only shown to healthy people. An important role is played by age: over the years, the “bouquet” of health problems is getting bigger. What are the contraindications to the diet Dyukana Attack:
- Presence of chronic kidney disease.
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system.
- Problems with the liver.
- Cholecystitis, gastritis, pancreatitis.
- Diabetes mellitus.
Feedback on the results of losing weight
Arina, 30 years old: I lost 6 kg during the Attack, 18 kg for the whole Dukan diet and 4 months have not recovered! By cons will carry a high price for some protein products, tasteless bran( we have a problem to buy them), headaches from a lack of carbohydrates. I learned to cook interesting dishes from meat and fish and disaccustomed home from harmful products, fast food and food for the night.
Vasily, 29 years old: I work as a shift worker. When I realized that I can not cope with the loads, I took a diet from Dukan. I love meat, fish, but I did not have the usual pies, dumplings, sweet. At the stage of Attack, I lost 5 kg. Eat constantly meat and fish, refused to drink alcohol. Bran replaced with buckwheat on the water. Without sports and hunger strikes, the result for 120 days of the Dukan diet is minus 10 kg.
A wheat kernel and its nutritional value.
Bran, also known as miller’s bran, is the hard outer layers of cereal grain. It consists of the combined aleurone and pericarp.
Along with germ, it is an integral part of whole grains, and is often produced as a byproduct of milling in the production of refined grains. When bran is removed from grains, the grains lose a portion of their nutritional value. Bran is present in and may be in any cereal grain, including rice, corn (maize), wheat, oats, barley, rye and millet. Bran is not the same as chaff, coarser scaly material surrounding the grain but not forming part of the grain itself.
Bran is particularly rich in dietary fiber and essential fatty acids and contains significant quantities of starch, protein, vitamins, and dietary minerals. It is also a source of phytic acid, an antinutrient that prevents nutrient absorption.
The high oil content of bran makes it subject to rancidification, one of the reasons that it is often separated from the grain before storage or further processing. Bran is often heat-treated to increase its longevity.
|Carbohydrates w/o starch||45–50||50–70||16–34||18–23||70–80|
Rice bran is a byproduct of the rice milling process (the conversion of brown rice to white rice), and it contains various antioxidants that impart beneficial effects on human health. A major rice bran fraction contains 12%-13% oil and highly unsaponifiable components (4.3%). This fraction contains tocotrienols (a form of vitamin E), gamma-oryzanol and beta-sitosterol; all these constituents may contribute to the lowering of the plasma levels of the various parameters of the lipid profile. Rice bran also contains a high level of dietary fibres (beta-glucan, pectin and gum). In addition, it also contains ferulic acid, which is also a component of the structure of nonlignified cell walls. However, some research suggests there are levels of inorganic arsenic (a toxin and carcinogen) present in rice bran. One study found the levels to be 20% higher than in drinking water. Other types of bran (derived from wheat, oat or barley) contain less arsenic than rice bran, and are just as nutrient-rich.
Bran is often used to enrich breads (notably muffins) and breakfast cereals, especially for the benefit of those wishing to increase their intake of dietary fiber. Bran may also be used for pickling (nukazuke) as in the tsukemono of Japan. In Romania and Moldova, the fermented wheat bran is usually used when preparing borș soup.
Rice bran in particular finds many uses in Japan, where it is known as nuka (糠; ぬか). Besides using it for pickling, Japanese people also add it to the water when boiling bamboo shoots, and use it for dish washing. In Kitakyushu City, it is called jinda and used for stewing fish, such as sardine. Rice bran and rice bran oil are also widely used in Japan as a natural beauty treatment. The high levels of oleic acid makes it particularly well absorbed by human skin, and it contains over 100 known vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, including gamma oryzanol, which is believed to impact pigment development.
In Myanmar, rice bran, called phwei-bya, is mixed with ash and used as a traditional detergent for washing dishes. Rice bran is also stuck to commercial ice blocks to hinder them from melting. It is also burned for fuel for rice mills in the rice growing regions of the Irrawaddy delta. Bran oil may be also extracted for use by itself for industrial purposes (such as in the paint industry), or as a cooking oil, such as rice bran oil. Japan has considered rice bran to a valuable resource since ages and extracted oil out of it and it is popularly known as heart oil. Also it is emerging as a popular cooking oil in Asian countries, especially for shallow and deep frying application.
Wheat bran is useful as feed for poultry and other livestock, as part of a balanced ration with other inputs. Wheatings, a milling byproduct comprising mostly bran with some pieces of endosperm also left over, are included in this category.
Bran was found to be the most successful slug deterrent by BBC’s TV programme, Gardeners’ World. It is a common substrate and food source used for feeder insects, such as mealworms and waxworms. Wheat bran has also been used for tanning leather since at least the 16th century.
George Washington had a recipe for small beer involving bran, hops, and molasses.
It is common practice to heat-treat bran with the intention of slowing undesirable rancidification. However, a very detailed 2003 study of heat-treatment of oat bran found a complex pattern whereby increasingly intense heat treatment reduced the development of hydrolitic rancidity and bitterness with time, but increased oxidative rancidity. The authors recommended that heat treatment should be sufficient to achieve selective lipase inactivation, but not so much as to render the polar lipids oxidisable upon prolonged storage.
- Cereal germ
- Phytic acid (IP6)
- Rice bran solubles
Dukan Diet Recipes > Appetizers > Dukan Diet Galette Recipe
- Oat Bran (30.0 g)
- Wheat Bran (Crude) (15.0 g)
- Eggs (1.0 egg)
- Fat Free Cream Cheese (2.0 tbsp)
This oat and wheat bran galette is perfect for breakfast. The base recipe is so flexible. You can just add a few aromatics to make it savoury or add artificial sweeteners to make it sweet. The choice is up to you. Regardless, what youâ€™ll end up with is a hearty meal you can be happy about.
- These galettes are so easy to make. The quantity of the ingredients indicated in the recipe above is for a single serving.
- If you need to prepare for 2, just double the quantity of the ingredients in the recipe above except for the egg. You can use a single egg for 2 servings.
- Take out your non-stick sautÃ© pan from the pantry. Best to use a new sautÃ© pan or a pan not used for regular cooking. Using older sautÃ© pans can cause the galette to stick to the bottom of the pan because of abrasions done to the non-stick surface due to regular use.
- Measure and prepare all the ingredients as indicated in the recipe above.
- For a savoury galette, you can add aromatics like garlic and onion. You may even add a few of your favorite herbs.
- If you donâ€™t have wheat bran, you can substitute it with oat bran as well. So you will now need to prepare 3 tablespoon of oat bran instead of just 2.
- In a mixing bowl, pour the egg, oat bran, wheat bran, and fat free cream cheese or cottage cheese. Using a wire whisk, beat the mixture until itâ€™s thoroughly mixed.
- As an alternative to fat free cream cheese, you may use quark cheese or cottage cheese. You may also substitute it with yogurt. Just make sure that these are compliant with the diet that you are following.
- Once thoroughly mixed already, add your aromatics and flavourings, if using, at this point.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste for a savoury galette as well.
- Place your sautÃ© pan over medium heat. Pour the mixture into the sautÃ© pan and let it brown on one side before turning it on the other side.
- Youâ€™ll know itâ€™s ready to turn when bubbles start appearing on the top portion of the galette. It should be easy to lift it from the pan without sticking as well.
- When both sides are already golden, take out of the pan and serve immediately. Enjoy the dish while it is still warm.
Pin and Save this Recipe when you’re ready!
Nutritional Information for 1 Serving